Larry Latson, MD
I am a pediatric cardiologist and specialist in adult congenital heart disease. I serve as the medical director of Pediatric and Congenital Interventional Cardiology at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital and co-medical director of the Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program at Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute.
I have more than 35 years of experience in treating patients of all ages with congenital heart disease. I have been fortunate to be able to contribute to the development of many modern techniques and devices designed to treat some congenital heart defects.
I love working to improve the lives of children and adults with special medical needs due to a heart defect. It is incredibly fulfilling to be able to improve a child's heart and then follow them through their entire life.
I am one of a small number of physicians board certified in the new specialty of Adult Congenital Heart Disease. This demonstrates my commitment to constantly learning and investigating the many factors that can affect patients with congenital heart defects as they age.
I grew up in Houston, Texas, and was on the faculty of Baylor College of Medicine and then the University of Nebraska Medical School. Before coming to Memorial in 2011, I spent 18 years at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio, where I served as chairman of Pediatric Cardiology, and director of the Cardiac Catheterization Lab at the Center for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Diseases. I love being back in the South.
I am a member / fellow of many professional organizations including the Adult Congenital Heart Association, American College of Cardiology, American Heart Association and the Society for Cardiac Catheterization and Interventions. Remaining active in these types of organizations ensures that we know about, and can offer, the latest cutting-edge evaluations and treatments for our patients.
Meet Dr. Latson
- Baylor College Of Medicine, 1976
- Baylor College Of Medicine, 1977, Pediatrics
- Baylor College Of Medicine, 1978, Pediatrics
- Baylor College Of Medicine, 1981, Pediatric Cardiology
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatric Cardiology
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatrics
- Editorial Board, Annals of Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiac Society, India, 2009-present
- Achievement Award, Congenital Interventional Cardiology, Pediatric and Adult Interventional Cardiac Symposium, 2010
- SCAI Congenital Heart Disease Executive Committee, 2010
- 28th Kareem B. Minhas Memorial Lecturer, University of Louisville, 2009
- Innovator Award, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 2008
- Top Docs, Cleveland Magazine
- Top Docs, Northern Ohio Live Magazine
- First David J. Driscoll Lecturer, The Mayo Clinic, 2005
- Member, Faculty of 1,000, Congenital Heart Disease Section
- Best Poster Finalist, American Heart Association, 2004
- National Leadership Award, Honorary Chairman of Ohio, 2003
- America’s Top Pediatricians
- America’s Top Doctors
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- The National Registry of Who’s Who
- The Best Doctors in America, Inc.
- Co-Recipient, Best Teacher Award, Cleveland Clinic Foundation Cardiology Fellows, 1993
- NIH New Investigator Research Award, 1983
- NIH Training Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiology, Baylor College of Medicine, 1980-1981
- Graduation with Honors, Baylor College of Medicine, 1976
- Jesse Jones Scholastic Scholarship, 1971-1975
- American Heart Association, 2003-present
- International Society of Invasive Cardiology, 2003-present
- The Society of Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, 1993-present
- Doctors Interested in Congenital Heart Disease, 1993-present
- American College of Cardiology, 1983-present
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 1978-present
- Melody Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve (TPV) Human Device Exemption, HDE, Medtronic, 2010-present
- AMPLATZER Duct Occluder II Clinical Study, 2009-present
- Long-Term Outcomes Following Transcatheter or Surgical Closure of Hemodynamically Significant Isolated Secundum Atrial Septal Defect, 2009-present
- Closure of Atrial Septal Defects with the AMPLATZER Muscular VSD Occluder Post Approval Study, AGA Medical, 2008-present
- Closure of Ventricular Septal Defects with the AMPLATZER Muscular VSD Occluder Post Approval Study, 2008-present
- Chart Review: Review of Transcatheter Closure of Para-Valve Leaks, 2008-present
- Aortic Stenosis: Comparing Cardiac Catheterization and Echocardiographic Measurements, 2007-present
- Chart Review: Prognostic Significance of Peak Circulatory Power in Children with Congenital Heart Disease, 2007-present
- Comparison Between Surgical Versus Balloon Angioplasty Versus Intravascular Stent Placement for Recurrent or Native Coarctation of the Aorta, Wayne State University, 2005-present
- Follow-Up and Outcome of Transcatheter Intervention in Pulmonary Artresia with Intact Ventricular Septum, 2005-present
- Congential and Acquired Left Pulmonary Artery Stenosis in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Patient Ductus Arteriosus Occlusion, 2005-present
- Transcatheter Patch for Closure of Atrial Septal Defects Feasibility Study, Custom Pediatric Medical Devices, 2004-present
- Coarctation of the Aorta Stent Trial (COAST), Johns Hopkins University, 2008-present
- Closure of Muscular Ventricular Septal Defects with the Amplatzer Muscular VSD Occuluder in High-Risk Patients, AGA Medical, 2004-present
- Pediatric Catheterization Lab Registry, 2004-present
- Registry, Fetal Cardiovascular Interventional Catheterization as Innovative Practice, 2004-present
- Development and Demonstration of Technique for Fetal Cardiac Interventional Catheterization, 2002-present