Noor Kassira, MD
I am a pediatric general and thoracic surgeon at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital. I perform a wide variety of pediatric surgical procedures, including minimally invasive surgery. I have a particular interest in neonatal congenital anomalies, pediatric oncology and pediatric trauma.
I was inspired to pursue a career in medicine by watching many of my family members, who have been involved in the medical field. I have always loved children and love that as a pediatric surgeon, I am able to use my abilities to help them improve their health and feel better – especially when they are going through a challenging time.
One of my favorite parts of my job is working with families as I treat and care for a child. I approach each case as if I were treating one of my own family members.
In addition to patient care, I'm also a passionate advocate of pediatric trauma and injury prevention. I believe that the best way to make a lasting difference is to educate parents, families and communities about injury prevention, such as the importance of seat belts, helmets, gun safety, etc.
Before joining Memorial, I worked at University of South Florida and Tampa General Hospital, where I served as the interim director of pediatric surgery, assistant professor of surgery and pediatrics and director of pediatric trauma.
Related Medical Services
- University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine, 2004
- Jackson Memorial Hospital - Division Of Ob/Gyn, 2005, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Jackson Memorial Hospital - Hematology/Oncology, 2008, Surgery
- Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2012, Surgery
- St Christopher's Hospital For Children, 2014, Pediatric Surgery
- American Board of Surgery-Pediatric Surgery
- American Board of Surgery-Surgery
- SEEDS (Spotting Employees Exceeding Departmental Standards) Award: St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children/ Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, February 2013
- Interdepartmental Developmental Research Grant Winner: Daughtry Family Department of Surgery, University of Miami, July 2006
- Invention Recognition Program Award Winner University of Miami, May 2007
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Pediatric Surgical Association
- Pediatric Trauma Society
- Florida Associations of Pediatric Surgery
- Children’s Oncology Group
- Florida Medical Association
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Kappa Phi
I have been involved in clinical research throughout my training and career in medicine. My current research interests include pediatric trauma.
Past research projects include:
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow - Department of Surgery: Vascular Biology Institute University of Miami School of Medicine, Diabetic Wound Healing and the role of matrix metalloproteinases 2005-2007
- Research Assistant: University of Miami Mailman Center for Child Development Dept. of Pediatrics, Division of Genetics Thesis: DNA Mutation Detection of Three Rare Genetic Diseases 1997-2000
- Research Assistant: University of Miami, Dept. of Pediatrics, Division of Adolescent Medicine - “My Health is Worth It” March of Dimes Study Aimed at chronically ill youth pregnancy prevention -Multimedia Approach to Pregnancy Prevention (MAPP) project, aimed at chronically ill adolescent youths -School Wellness Initiative — grant completion to open more school health clinics
- Pediatric Trauma Update Day, Special Considerations in Pediatric Trauma, Tampa General Hospital, October 26, 2018
- Car Seat Education Segment, Fox 13 Tampa, FL, September 23, 2018
- EMS Symposium of Manatee County, “Trauma in the Pediatric Patient” Bradenton, FL September 20, 2018
- Stop the Bleed Education Segment, Tampa Bay’s Morning Blend Show, ABC Tampa, March 30, 2018
- Public Service Announcement (PSA) for all Hillsborough county public schools, Hillsborough County Sheriff Office Prom Night Planned Right, 2017
- Pediatric Trauma Update Day, Pediatric Trauma and Shock, Tampa General Hospital, October 27, 2017
- Grand Rounds, Department of Surgery, “Gastroesophageal Reflux in Infants and Children,” University of South Florida, Tampa General Hospital, Tampa, FL November 23, 2015
- Grand Rounds, Department of Pediatrics, “Gastroesophageal Reflux in Infants and Children,” University of South Florida, Tampa General Hospital, Tampa, FL October 29, 2015
- CME Presentation, “Gastroesophageal Reflux in Infants and Children”, Lakeland, FL October 21, 2015
- Society of Pediatric Nurses Conference, “Surgical Considerations in Neonates and Children”, St Joseph’s Hospital, Tampa, FL October 10, 2015
- EMS Week Symposium of Polk County, “Trauma in the Pediatric Patient” Winter Haven, FL May 21, 2015