Alan Herline, MD
As chief of Colon and Rectal Surgery for Memorial Healthcare System, I enjoy improving the lives of patients with diseases of the colon and rectum. I have extensive experience in caring for patients with inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis), colon and rectal cancer, diverticulitis and benign anorectal disease.
I began my professional career as an engineer, and brought the creativity and process-driven approach from that profession to medicine. This enables me – and our team – to deliver consistent, quality care while keeping our focus on improving outcomes for our patients.
I am energized to leverage the existing wonderful culture of safety and quality at Memorial to grow and expand the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery to provide world-class surgical care for patients with diseases of the colon and rectum. I have created and led similar programs at Augusta University and Vanderbilt University, and look forward to enhancing our comprehensive program here in South Florida so we can address the needs of our community and beyond.
I specialize in laparoscopic and robotic surgical techniques, which are great options for patients because they typically allow for faster healing times and quicker recoveries. I am also a proponent for Enhanced Recovery After Surgery to improve patient’s hospital experience.
In addition to providing patient care, I teach and mentor medical students, residents and young physicians. By teaching, training and mentoring young doctors, I am able to pass along my knowledge and help develop the next generation of physicians who will continue to make an impact on people’s lives.
Related Medical Services
- Medical College Of Georgia School Of Medicine, 1994
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1995, Surgery
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2001, Surgery
- Lahey Clinic, 2002, Colon and Rectal Surgery
- American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery-Colon and Rectal Surgery
- American Board of Surgery-Surgery
- J. Harold Harrison, MD Distinguished University Chair in Surgery, 2015
- Invited question writer for Surgical Oncology Certifying Exam, 2013
- Professional Research Consultants (PRC) Patient Satisfaction Award, 2012
- Career Development Award Winner; “Novel Endorectal Ultrasound Technology” American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, 2003
- New England Colon and Rectal Society best paper. “Is routine pouch surveillance for dysplasia indicated for ileoanal pouches?” 2002
- Harwell Wilson Award, 2001
- The Southeastern Surgical Society
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- American College of Surgeons, Associate Fellow
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, (Fellow)
- Society of University Surgeons
- Piedmont Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery
My research interests include the treatment of colorectal cancer, Crohn’s disease and colitis. Recent research projects include:
- 2014-16: Holographic Anatomy Table, Development of 3D anatomy for training, SBIR NIH 1R43GM110974-01 175,000 PI Dr CE Thomas, Consultant (Impact NF35)
- 2012-14: Selective thermal ablation of colorectal tumor cells by multifunctional polymeric thin films; Todd Gorgio, Valdastri Pietro Alan Herline
- 2011-13: Broad Medical Research Program Grant “In situ delineation of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s colitis using Raman spectroscopy” $110,000 PI Xiaohong Bi; AJ Herline Co-PI
- 2011-13: A Phase II, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Dose Finding Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Ipamorelin Compared to Placebo for the Recovery of Gastrointestinal Function in Patients Following Small or Large Bowel Resection with Primary Anastomosis; Principal Investigator
- 2010-12: Development of Raman Spectral Markers to Discriminate Inflammatory Bowel Disease; American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Research Foundation; Ethicon Endo-Surgery Technology Award, Xiaohong Bi, PhD. AJ Herline Co-PI
- 2017: Screening in Individuals at Increased Risk for Colorectal Cancer; Alan Herline, Danielle McMechan, Asif Talukder, Thad Wilkins
- Herline AJ, Novel Treatments in Rectal Cancer, Tennessee Oncology Data Analyst Association 33rd Annual Meeting: Gatlinburg, TN September 25, 2015.
- Laparoscopic Colostomy Takedown, Good Bad and Ugly, Laparoscopic Nuts and Bolts, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons; Hollywood, FL May 18, 2014
- Personalized Treatment of Synchronous Liver Mets and Rectal Cancer; Panel Discussion; Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. Chicago, IL May 6, 2014.
- Microsatellite Instability Testing in Rectal Cancer: Tissue May be an Issue“ Poster presentation at the International Society for Gastrointestinal Hereditary Tumours (InSiGHT) 5th Biennial meeting to be held 28 – 31 August 2013, Queensland, Australia.
- Monoallelic MYH Mutation Carriers: Increased Risk for Colorectal Neoplasia (Poster Presentation) D. Sturgeon, T. Geiger, R. Muldoon, A. Herline, P. Wise, Annual Meeting of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, San Antonio, TX June 4, 2012
- Five-Year Analysis of the Impact of Perioperative Core Body Temperature on Post Operative Complications (Poster Presentation) T Geiger, J Ehrenfeld, K Marolen, R Muldoon, B Poulose, A Herline, P Wise. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, San Antonio, TX June 4, 2012
- Using Raman Spectroscopy to Discriminate Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Podium Presentation). X Bi, I Pence, A Herline, A Mahadevan-Jansen. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, San Antonio, TX June 4, 2012.
- Increasing High-Risk Patient Identification Through Establishment of a Hereditary Colorectal Cancer Registry (Podium). D Sturgeon, A Herline, R Muldoon, T McCutcheon, P Wise. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, Vancouver, May 2011
- Perioperative Core Body Temperatures Effect On Outcome After Colorectal Resections (Podium Presentation). T. Geiger, S. Horst, R. Muldoon, P. Wise, J. Ehrenfeld, A. Herline, Annual Meeting of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, Vancouver, May 2011
- Using Raman Spectroscopy to Discriminate Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Podium Presentation). X Bi, A Walsh, A Mahadevan-Jansen, A Herline. Annual Meeting of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, Minneapolis, MN, May 2010