Simon Buttrick, MD
Hollywood, FL 33021
Pembroke Pines, FL 33028
I am a neurosurgeon at Memorial Healthcare System, specializing in the treatment of all varieties of brain tumors. Whenever possible, I employ less invasive surgical techniques, such as trans-nasal approaches to treating pituitary tumors, the use of tubular retractors for deep-seated lesions, and laser interstitial thermal therapy for inaccessible tumors. I also perform spine and open vascular neurosurgery, including minimally invasive spine techniques.
When I was younger, I was drawn to science and engineering, but ultimately wanted my life’s work to involve more human connection. Though I knew close to nothing about it at the time, medicine seemed like an obvious choice, and as I got closer to the field I fell in love with it. Around the same time I read "Saturday," a novel by Ian McEwan, in which the protagonist is a neurosurgeon. It gave me a first glimpse into the both technical and human complexity of the field as well as the diversity of pathologies and techniques that were involved. From that point forward, I knew that neurosurgery was my calling.
In neurosurgery, we can profoundly transform a patient's life for the better, and the process of getting there is filled with beauty and artistry. I am still in awe when dealing with the brain and nervous system up close.
Every neurosurgical problem exists within the context of a life with relationships, stories, history and a future. I believe we can only adequately address the neurosurgical problem with an understanding of this context.
I know that the day a patient comes to see a neurosurgeon is usually among the worst days of their lives. I strive to not only offer the technically best, most cutting-edge surgical treatment to help them feel better, but also try to make that day just a little less traumatic and give them hope for their future.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Buttrick
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, 2013
- University Of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2014, Neurosurgery
- University Of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2020, Neurosurgery
- University Of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2017, Surgical Neuro Oncology
- Best Resident Presentation, Florida Neurosurgical Society Meeting, 2018
- Finalist, American College of Surgeons Resident Teacher Award, 2017
- Barth Green Highest Board Score Award, 2016
- Buttrick S. Impact of Resident-Run Neurosurgery Elective for Medical Students. Florida Neurosurgical Society. West Palm Beach, FL. 08/2018.
- Buttrick S, Roth A, Cajigas I, Ivan ME. Accuracy of Frameless versus Frame-Based Placement of Deep Brain Stimulation Leads: A MetaAnalysis. AANS. Los Angeles, CA. 04/2017.
- Buttrick S, Ali SC, Menaker SA, Sargi ZB, Komotar RJ. Learning Curve with Endoscopic Endonasal Pituitary Surgery: Avoidance of Postoperative Meningitis and Spinal Fluid Leak. AANS. Los Angeles, CA. 04/2017.
- Buttrick S, O’Phelan K, Goodman K, Benveniste R. Prospective Study of Futile Care in the Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit. CNS. San Diego, CA. 10/2016.
- Buttrick S, Niazi T. Occult Aneurysm in an Infant Causing Diffuse Subarachnoid Hemorrhage and Terson Syndrome. AANS. Chicago, IL. 04/2016.
- Buttrick SS, Flores R, Sehba FA. Platelet and Neutrophil Aggregation after Experimental Subarachnoid Hemorrhage in Rats. Mount Sinai Student Research Day. New York, NY. 11/2010.
- Schaffer SB, Jiang Z, Buttrick SS, Stein DM. Single-Molecule DNA Detection and Conformational Analysis Using Solid-State Nanopores. MARM. New York, NY. 05/2008.