Manuela Almaguer, MD
I am an endocrinologist at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital. I care for children with a variety of endocrine disorders including diabetes, growth retardation, congenital anomalies related to the thyroid and pituitary glands, glucose sugar metabolism issues, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, early puberty and adrenal issues.
I always knew I wanted to work with children and became fascinated with endocrinology at an early age. I became hooked when I first read about the pituitary gland and how hormones and glucose can impact children. For me, helping children is not my job; it's my mission in life. Long after I retire, I plan to continue to volunteer my time to help kids in need.
I treat all of my patients as if they were my own children. I believe many people can earn a medical degree and attain knowledge, but in medicine, you should use both your heart and your brain.
At Memorial, our physicians work together to provide comprehensive care for our patients. This is especially helpful for those who have complicated medical histories or several medical complications. We are also home to the Diabetes Center at Memorial Regional Hospital / Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, where patients can get care from a multidisciplinary team of nurses and nutritionists who are certified diabetes educators.
In addition to caring for patients, I love to teach. I am looking forward to motivating the residents in Joe DiMaggio's new Pediatric Residency program.
I am very proud to be part of the Joe DiMaggio family. It is a great place to work and is becoming a great place for the next generation of pediatricians to gain experience, medical knowledge and have an opportunity to enrich our community.
Meet Dr. Almaguer
- University Of Malaga School Of Medicine, 1983
- Flushing Hospital Medical Center, 1990, Pediatrics
- Montefiore Medical Center, 1993, Pediatric Endocrinology
- American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatric Endocrinology
- American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatrics
- Children’s Oncology Group, 2009
- American Diabetes Association Endocrine Society, 1998
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1994
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 1987
- Association of Spanish Medical Graduates, 1984