Syndi Seinfeld, DO
I am the medical director of Epilepsy at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital’s Neuroscience Center. As an epilepsy specialist, I treat patients with intractable epilepsy, children experiencing seizures and associated co-morbidities of epilepsy.
Epilepsy affects all aspects of a child’s life, and also has an impact on all of the people who care for them. I work closely with the families of my patients to educate them about treatment options, the diagnosis and what they can expect.
Everyone is unique and we tailor our care for each patient’s needs. As part of Memorial Healthcare System, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital has numerous medical and support services to assist our patients and their loved ones as they undergo treatment.
I am excited about the treatment options and interventions available today for epilepsy. I am also encouraged by the research currently underway and the new future possibilities being studied to improve the quality of life for patients living with epilepsy.
In addition to providing patient care, I am also on the editorial board of Pediatric Neurology. I received a Fellow designation from the American Academy of Neurology, which recognizes special achievements in the neurosciences.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Seinfeld
- New York Institute of Technology, 2005
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, 2006
- Virginia Commonwealth U Medical Virginia, 2008, Pediatrics
- Virginia Commonwealth U Medical Virginia, 2011, Pediatric Neurology
- Virginia Commonwealth U Medical Virginia, 2012, Clinical Neurophysiology
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology-Pediatric Neurology
American Osteopathic Board of Neurology and Psychiatry-Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Academy of Neurology, Scholarship to Research Career Development Symposium, 2013
- American Epilepsy Society Meeting, Fellow’s Scholarship, 2011
- Outstanding Junior Member Award, Child Neurology Society, 2011
- Humanism Award, VCU Department of Neurology, 2009
- Recipient of American Academy of Neurology Resident Scholarship, 2009
- International Child Neurology Association
- Child Neurology Society
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Osteopathic Association
- Seinfeld S, Gelfand M, Heller AH, Buan C, and Slatko G. Safety and Tolerability Associated with Chronic Intermittent Use of Diazepam Buccal Film in Pediatric, Adolescent and Adult Patients with Epilepsy. Poster Session. Presented at the American Epilepsy Society 73rd Annual Meeting 12/2019.
- Leung C and Seinfeld S. An adolescent female with angiography-negative childhood primary angiitis of the central nervous system. Poster Session. Presented at the American Academy of Neurology 71st Annual Meeting. 5/2019.
- Berry-Kravis E, Seinfeld S, Chin BS, Friedmann K, O’Hara K. Protriptyline and Severe Cataplexy in Niemann-Pick Type C1. Poster Session. Presented at the 47th Annual Child Neurology Society Meeting 10/2018.
- Gonzalez-Montoya V, Gowda S, Seinfeld S. Integration of High Density Electroencephalogram source modeling in non-lesional refractory epilepsy for presurgical planning. Poster Session. Presented at 32nd International Epilepsy Congress, Barcelona, 9/2017.
- Way E, Seinfeld S. Toxoplasma gondii infection as a cause of demyelination and refractory status epilepticus in an immunocompetent host. Poster Session. Presented at American Academy of Neurology 69th Annual Meeting. 5/2017.
- Seinfeld S, O’Hara K, Pellock JM. Electroencephalogram and Intrathecal β-cyclodextrin-hydroxypropyl in Niemann-Pick Type C: a biomarker? American Epilepsy Society Meeting. Poster Session #: 2.350;12/2016.
- Way E, Mathew D, Seinfeld S. Creating a Protocol for Pediatric Patients with Anti-NMDA Receptor encephalitis. Poster Session. Presented at American academy of Neurology 68th Annual Meeting 4/2016.
- Hussain A, Seinfeld S, Morton L. Genetic Association with Ictal Cardiorespiratory Phenomena: SCN8A Case Series. Poster Session. Presented at American academy of Neurology 68th Annual Meeting 4/2016.
- Shinnar S, Hesdorffer D, Seinfeld S, et al. Risk for recurrent febrile seizures in FEBSTAT. American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting. Poster Session #: P2.396; 12/2015.
- Haut S, Seinfeld S, Pellock JM, Halvorsen MB. Benzodiazepine Systematic Review. International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) - 21st International Meeting. May 2016.
- Haut S, Pellock JM, Seinfeld S. Benzodiazepine Administration for Seizure Emergencies: A Review. American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting. Poster Session #: P4.250; 4/2014.
- Seinfeld S, Pellock JM, Delorenzo R. Pre-hospital and Emergency Management of Afebrile Pediatric Status Epilepticus. American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting. Poster Session #: 2.056; 12/2013.
- Pellock JM, Haut S, Seinfeld S. Benzodiazepine use for emergency treatment of seizures: A review. American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting. Poster Session #: 2.064; 12/2013.
- Seinfeld S, Pellock JM. Efficacy and Safety of Intranasal Midazolam for Seizure Emergencies in Pediatric Patients: A systemic Review of the Literature. Child Neurology Society Annual Meeting 10/2013.
- Seinfeld S, Pellock JM, Shinnar S, Hesdorffer D, Shinnar R, O'Hara K, Nordli D, Frank L, Gallentine W, Moshe S, Deng X and Sun S. Recognition and Treatment of Prolonged Febrile Seizures; Results from the FEBSTAT Study. Neurology 2012; 78 (IN5-2.005) and (S46.001).
- Seinfeld S, Pellock JM, Shinnar S, Hesdorffer D, O’Dell C, O’Hara K, Nordli D, Frank M, Gallentine M, Moshe S, Deng X and Sun S. Medication Management of Febrile Status; Results from the FEBSTAT Study. Poster Session 2: December 4. Epilepsy Currents 2011; 12 (Suppl 1): 159.
- Seinfeld S, Pellock JM, Shinnar S, Sun S, Deng X, Hesdorffer D, O’Dell C, O’Hara K, Nordli D, Frank M, Gallentine W, Moshe SL, FEBSTAT Study Team. Emergency management of febrile status epilepticus: results from the FEBSTAT Study. Platform Session 2: #9-16. Annals of Neurology 2011; 70 (suppl 15): S112-S114.
- Seinfeld S, Pellock JM, Kjeldsen MJ, Nakken KO, Jensen HB, Corey LA. Epilepsy after Febrile Seizures: Twins suggest genetic influence. Poster Session. Presented at American Epilepsy Society 64th Annual Meeting. 12/2010.