Heysu Rubio-Gomez, MD
I am an infectious disease specialist at Memorial Healthcare System. I assist in managing cases where unusual and complex infections are difficult to diagnose and treat. I also manage patients with HIV/AIDS and viral hepatitis. I have a special interest in tropical/subtropical diseases, travel medicine, infection control and prevention and antimicrobial stewardship.
I knew at an early age that I wanted to become a physician, I have a very clear memory as a young child of my parents caring for patients in their community and how they touched lives in a special way. During my medical training, I witnessed how an infectious disease specialist helped save the life of a patient who was critically ill with an unknown disease. I knew then that I wanted to prepare well and give my best to this exciting and sometimes unpredictable field of medicine.
I am board certified in both infectious disease and internal medicine. I love that in this specific field of medicine each patient is different and with that comes a new challenge. But being able to connect and serve individuals when they are at their most vulnerable fills me with unparalleled personal satisfaction.
Every patient is different and therefore my approach with each individual is unique. However I always strive to give the best medical care possible comprised by the practice of evidence-based medicine in an environment led by first of all respect, empathy and compassion.
- Universidad Nacional Pedro Henriquez Urena, 2005
- Lutheran Medical Center, 2011, Internal Medicine
- Lutheran Medical Center, 2013, Internal Medicine
- Maimonides Medical Center, 2015, Infectious Disease
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- American Academy of HIV Medicine
- American Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene
- International Society of Travel Medicine
- International Society of Infectious Diseases
- American College of Physicians