Richard Harrell, MD
Medical and Imaging Director, Memorial Center for Integrative Endocrine Surgery
Dr. R. Mack Harrell received his bachelor's and medical degrees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was awarded the prestigious Morehead Fellowship in Medicine. After completing a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Minnesota, Dr. Harrell did a clinical and research fellowship in endocrinology at Duke University, developing a special interest in parathyroid, thyroid and adrenal disease.
In 1991, Dr. Harrell was recruited by Cleveland Clinic Florida, where he pioneered office neck ultrasonography and became their first Chief of Endocrinology, before moving on to become the Director of Metabolic Outcomes for the North Broward Hospital District in Ft. Lauderdale in 1999. Dr. Harrell began an endocrine surgical collaboration with David Bimston, MD in 2005. Both moved their practice to Memorial Healthcare System in 2011.
Dr. Harrell is among fewer than 200 physicians worldwide who have completed the Endocrine Neck Ultrasound (ECNU) program administered by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinology (AACE). He has served as a clinical professor of medicine at Nova Southeastern University since 2001. Dr. Harrell has performed thousands of thyroid biopsies and parathyroid localizations. He brings a unique expertise to the diagnosis and treatment of thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal tumors.
- University Of North Carolina, 1979
- University Of Minnesota, 1980, Internal Medicine
- Duke University Hospital, 1985, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Endocrinology Diabetes and Metabolism
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Atlantic Coast Conference Honor Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Morehead Fellowship in Medicine
- Fellow of King’s Fund College, London
- National Institutes of Health Research Service Award
- Career Development Award
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- Broward County Medical Society
- American Medical Association
- ECNU Teaching Faculty
- AACE Diabetes Council
- American College of Endocrinology, Board of Trustees, Executive Committee