Dillonelijah Arango, MD
I am an orthopedic surgeon at Memorial Healthcare System. I treat fractures of the upper and lower extremities and specialize in minimally invasive surgery.
I was born and raised in South Florida and was the first orthopedic surgeon to graduate from the FIU College of Medicine. After extensive surgical residency training in Philadelphia, I completed a fellowship at Harvard University (affiliates Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital). There, I specialized in sports medicine, minimally invasive arthroscopy, shoulder surgery, and cartilage restoration.
Using the arthroscopic techniques, I use small keyhole incisions to view and treat painful or problematic joints with specialized instruments. This allows us to perform surgery via much smaller incisions than would traditionally be required.
I perform knee and shoulder arthroscopy, shoulder replacement, ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL reconstructions, meniscal repairs, rotator cuff repairs, as well as treat shoulder dislocations, tendon tears, arthritis pain and more.
For many patients, minimally invasive procedures can provide a safe and life-changing experience. Patients may get the relief they need from their joint pain with a much quicker recovery. In regards to shoulder replacement, new computer assisted technology allows me to plan the surgery on my computer with the patient’s own CT scan in order to be more precise during surgery. A 3D printed replica of the patient’s shoulder can even be made and used as a reference during surgery.
In addition to providing patient care, I also enjoy teaching new and upcoming doctors. Currently, I am Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery at FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine and Assistant Professor of Surgery at Dr. Kiran C. Patel Allopathic College of Medicine Nova Southeastern University.
Related Medical Services
- Florida International University School Of Medicine, 2013
- Albert Einstein Medical Center, 2014, Orthopedic Surgery
- Albert Einstein Medical Center, 2018, Orthopedic Surgery
- Brigham And Women's Hospital, 2019, Sports Medicine
- AOA (American Orthopedic Association) Emerging Leader
- 2016 AOFAS (American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society) Resident Scholar
- 2015 1st place. Einstein Hospital Resident Research Competition
- 2015 Resident Research Award Einstein Orthopedics
- 2011-2012 Internal Medicine Clerkship, Student of the Year Award
- 2011-2012 Surgery Clerkship, Student of the Year Award
- 2011-2012 Pediatrics Clerkship, Finalist for Student of the Year Award
- 2012 Outstanding Research of the Year Award for College of Medicine
- 2011 Finalist for Outstanding Research of the Year Award for COM
- Arango D, Narvaez M, Sweitzer B. Utilization of a Knot Pusher Increases Knot Security for Sliding and Static Knots. EOA oral presentation 2017. Miami, Fl.
- Clippinger B, Narvaez M, Arango D, Minimo C, Pahys J, Handal J. Effect of Intrasite Vancomycin Powder On Development of Epidural Fibrosis. EOA oral presentation 2017. Miami, Fl
- Arango D, Clippinger B, Samuel Praveen S, Ayzenberg M, Woozley K. Three-Dimensional (3D) Printed Upper Extremity Fracture Models as an Avenue for Resident Education. ACS Poster Presentation 2017. San Diego, CA.
- Arango D, Narvaez M, Smith W, Raphael J, Samuel P. Dose Dependent Chondrotoxicity of Intrasite Vancomycin: a Porcine Model. AAHS Poster January 2017 meeting. Hawaii.
- Arango D, Narvaez M, Tiedeken N, Smith W, Raphael J. Biomechanical Analysis of Various Insertional Techniques in External Fixation Pin Insertion. AAHS Poster January 2017 meeting. Hawaii.
- Ayzenberg M, Williamson CJ, Arango D, Gershkovich G, Raphael J. The Effect of Radial Head Excision on Load Transmission in Female Elbows. AAHS Poster January 2017 meeting. Hawaii.
- Arango D, Gershkovich G, Ndu A, Shaffer G. Weightbearing Compliance after Foot and Ankle Surgery. Oral presentation. American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) annual meeting. Toronto 2016.
- Gershkovich G, Arango D, Criner K, Solomon S, Raphael J. Methylparaben Preservative in Multi-dose Vials Of Local Anesthetics Negatively Affects Cartilage Health. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL 2016
- Ayzenberg M, Arango D, Narvaez M, Clippinger B. Severely Erosive Uncontrolled Tophaceous Gout. Poster presentation. EHN Resident Research Competition. May 2016
- Ayzenberg M, Arango D, Saing M. A novel technique for the reduction of the posterior hip dislocation. Poster presentation. EHN Resident Research Competition. May 2015
- Ayzenberg M, Arango D, Samuel SP, Raphael J. Fractional lengthening of forearm tendons at the myotendinous junction: A cadaveric study evaluating length gained for potential repair of chronic tendon ruptures. Poster presentation. EHN Resident Research Competition. May 2015
- Gershkovich G, Arango D, Criner K, Raphael J. Methylparaben preservative in multi-dose vials of local anesthetics negatively affects cartilage health. Podium presentation. EHN Resident Research Competition. May 2015.
- Iobst C, Arango D, Segal D. National Access to Care for Children with Fractures. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Meeting, Chicago, March 2013.
- Gautam Y, Vargas L, Farmer K, Arango D, Kiebzak G, Uribe J. The “Hybrid Graft” as a Novel Graft Choice for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Meeting, Chicago, March 2013.
- Iobst C, Arango D, Segal D. National Access to Pediatric Fracture Care. Oral Presentation. American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Annual Meeting, New Orleans, October 2012.
- Castellanos D, Arango D. Physical Activity Associated with Condition of Recreation Areas and the Perception of Safety In the Communities of North-Miami Dade County, Florida. American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Annual Meeting, New Orleans, October 2012
- Arango D, Garcia L. Technique for Limited Access Mitral Valve Surgery. Oral Presentation. Florida International University Annual Scholarly Forum, Miami, March 2011.
- Winkle S, Arango D, Landera A, Pulido J, Shaqra A, Wedderbum L, Sheardy R. RNA polymerase binds to specific nonpromoter DNA sequences. American Chemical Society (ACS) Annual Meeting, New Orleans, April 2008.