Alan Ackermann, DO
I am a clinical cardiologist at Memorial Healthcare System. I'm board certified in internal medicine and cardiovascular disease. I care for patients with a variety of cardiac diseases including coronary artery disease, heart failure, different types of irregular heart beats (arrhythmias, such as atrial fibrillation, bradycardia) and lipid disorders.
My father was my first inspiration in the pursuit of a career in medicine. From an early age, the way he lived his life had a profound impact on mine, as he taught me to treat everyone with respect and dignity. This character trait began to shape my interest and love of medicine. After my father became a cardiac patient at a young age, I knew I wanted to specialize in cardiology. I was so impressed with the care and dedication he received from his doctors, that I had no doubt I wanted to join their rank.
My number one priority when meeting with a patient is to listen and empathize. Each patient is unique, and I want to know everything from them, in order to do my best to make a diagnosis and tailor a plan of action uniquely for them.
I also believe it's critical to teach patients about their conditions. It is my strong belief that education has a far more lasting therapeutic effect than any pill.
Prior to joining Memorial, I served as chief of Cardiovascular Services at Aventura Hospital and Medical Center for two years. I have also been voted by my peers to act as the chief fellow of Cardiovascular Disease at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach, and chief resident of Internal Medicine at Franklin Square Hospital in Maryland. I currently serve as a Member of the Advocacy Committee for the Florida Chapter of the American College of Cardiology.
- Nova Southeastern University, 1995
- Franklin Square Hospital, 1999, Internal Medicine
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, 2003, Cardiovascular Disease
- Florida Chapter of American College of Cardiology
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society of Echocardiography
While I am not currently involved in clinical research at this time, I have participated in several studies to help advance the field of cardiology. My research interests include coronary artery disease and heart failure.
- Past research projects include:
- Project Leader for the Pilot to Assess Chelation Therapy (PACT)
- Project Leader for the Trial to Assess Chelation Therapy (TACT)
- Sub Investigator for the Candersartan in Heart Failure: Assessment of Reduction in Mortality and Morbidity
- Sub-Investigator for the Valsartan in Acute Myocardial Infarction (valiant) Trial