Kidney Transplant Recovery
After you receive a kidney transplant, there's a lot to look forward to — like more time to enjoy the people and activities you love. You'll also need to remember to take important medications and watch out for signs of organ rejection.
Memorial Transplant Institute's dedicated care team will be by your side during every step of your kidney transplant recovery journey. We'll give you the education and support you need so you can stay healthy while living life to the fullest.
Kidney Transplant Recovery: What to Expect
While many people say they feel healthier and more energized after kidney transplant surgery, different people experience different benefits — and challenges — during the recovery. Whatever your unique experience, our entire care team is committed to helping you transition successfully into a fuller, more active life after kidney transplantation.
You'll benefit from our:
- Postoperative care in the hospital: Your new kidney may start working right away or within a few days after kidney transplant surgery. You can expect to stay in the hospital for at least four to five days. Before you go home, our transplant team will sit down with you to explain everything you need to know about taking excellent care of yourself and your new kidney moving forward. We'll also set up your first follow-up appointment before you head home.
- Comprehensive follow-up care: For the first month after surgery, you'll have regular bloodwork and other tests. You'll also complete specific logs related to your weight, blood pressure, temperature, fluid intake and blood sugar (if applicable). We'll see you for several follow-up visits so we can monitor your kidney function and overall health. As time passes, you'll see us less often. But we'll remain in regular contact with you and your primary care doctor or nephrologist to ensure your health for the rest of your life.
- Convenience: At Memorial, you’ll see all transplant specialists in one convenient location – often in the same visit. You can also get necessary bloodwork done here, so you have one less stop to make in your transplant care. See why so many people choose Memorial Transplant Institute’s kidney transplant program.
- Thorough education: Our caring team members will walk you through everything you need to know — about important medications, signs of organ rejection and common complications. Proper handwashing is a great step you can take to avoid infection after surgery. We'll give you all the information you need to help you succeed in your recovery.
- Support services: Your kidney transplant recovery time will depend on a number of factors, but many people find themselves enjoying a more active lifestyle within one or two months after transplant surgery. If you are experiencing complications or having a hard time emotionally, we're always available to help.
Your life after kidney transplantation will change in many ways, from the kind of medical care you need to your energy levels and so much more. Start preparing yourself for what's to come by learning about our resources for patients and families. You can also read our kidney transplant caregiver tips.
Learn More About Adult Kidney Transplant
We are always just a phone call away. You can learn more about our customized adult kidney transplant care by calling us anytime at 954-265-7450.
Learn More About Pediatric Kidney Transplant
If you believe your child may benefit from a kidney transplant, we want to hear from you. You can learn more about our personalized pediatric kidney transplant care by calling us anytime at 954-265-7450.