Primary Care Sports Medicine
Whether you play professional or recreational sports, you’ll occasionally need care for injuries. Then there’s the ongoing care you need: annual checkups and treatment for illnesses or chronic conditions. At Memorial Sports Medicine Center, you receive all of these services within one program to continue your sports participation.
Our specialist in primary care sports medicine offers a wide variety of nonsurgical services for athletes, dancers and other performing artists. Our team provides care for your ongoing health needs as well as any sports- or dance-related injuries and conditions.
What Are Sports Physiatry and Primary Care Sports Medicine?
Sports physiatry combines two specialties: Sports medicine and physiatry, which is physical medicine and rehabilitation. Similarly, primary care sports medicine combines the specialties of sports medicine and primary care (family medicine).
Our primary care sports medicine specialist provides nonsurgical care for sports- or activity-related musculoskeletal injuries and conditions that affect bones, joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments. We also provide care for your health and wellness, including injury prevention.
Sports physiatrists and primary care sports medicine doctors help athletes and active people:
- Treat a variety of musculoskeletal sports related injuries
- Improve dance or sports performance
- Prevent or reduce the risk of injury
- Maintain physical function over the long term
- Improve overall health and wellness
Why Choose Memorial for Primary Care Sports Medicine?
At Broward County’s only fully comprehensive adult sports medicine program, you have access to doctors with training and experience in sports medicine, physiatry and primary care. We offer:
- Board-certified, fellowship-trained doctors: Our doctors holds board certifications in family medicine and nonsurgical sports medicine. Some also have advanced training through sports medicine fellowships. This extensive expertise means that you receive care from doctors who have extensive training.
- Specialized care for athletes and dancers: We provide advanced treatments for athletes, dancers, musicians and other performing artists. We’re proud to serve as company care providers for ASA College Miami, Broward College Seahawks and Florida Memorial University. When you come to Memorial, you receive care from providers with extensive training in athletic conditioning as well as sports and dance performance.
- Comprehensive care: We provide comprehensive services for adults 18 years and older. Within one program, you have access to family medicine care as well as advanced treatment for injuries.
- Access to all specialists at Memorial: If you or a family member needs other types of specialty care such as surgery, we refer you to doctors in the Sports Medicine Center or other departments within Memorial. We all use the same electronic health records system, so your doctors can easily coordinate your care.
- Integrated support services: Our team includes a physical and occupational therapists with sports medicine experience, and we work closely with nutritionists and sports psychologists. Our doctors provide prescriptions for treatment with these providers for seamless care.
Our Diagnostic Process
Whether you come to us directly or through a referral from your doctor, physical therapist or athletic trainer, we begin your care with a complete evaluation. To determine the causes of your symptoms, we:
- Conduct a physical exam
- Review your medical history
- Discuss symptoms
- Review any injuries and history of physical activity or sports participation
You may need further tests to confirm a diagnosis, including:
- Imaging studies: We use technology for X-ray, MRI, ultrasound and CT imaging. These studies help us check for broken bones, tendon and ligament tears and other problems.
- Joint aspiration: For people with joint inflammation and swelling, we may use a needle to remove a sample of fluid from the joint. We test the fluid to see if an infection or an autoimmune condition may be causing the inflammation.
- Blood tests: Blood tests may be used to check for indications of an infection or a chronic condition that may be causing your symptoms.
Our Treatment Options for Sports Injuries
Our treatment goals for sports injuries are to help you regain function as quickly as possible and to prevent future injuries. We focus on conservative, nonsurgical therapies such as physical therapy, medication and injections to help relieve pain and other symptoms. These treatments are designed to speed up the healing process to help you get back to the activities you love as soon as possible.
You may need one or more treatment options, such as:
Anti-inflammatories and other medications help reduce swelling, inflammation, pain and other symptoms. We consider medications you may be taking for other conditions when we prescribe a medication regimen for you.
When appropriate, we provide injections in our offices during your appointment for your convenience and immediate symptom relief. We offer:
- Steroid/cortisone injections to reduce pain and inflammation
- Ultrasound-guided platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections, which use your blood enhanced with a higher concentration of platelets to stimulate the healing process
We may recommend physical therapy to:
- Strengthen muscles
- Improve specific movements or posture needed for sports or dance
- Prevent future injury
- Improve recovery after surgery, to help you regain your previous level of function
We develop a customized plan with our integrated sports physical therapy and rehabilitation team, providing the diagnosis and other guidance for treatment. Our physical therapists provide reports to the doctors on your progress. You will meet with your doctor periodically to discuss any adjustments to your treatment plan.
Our Primary Care Services
Our doctor is board-certified in Sports Medicine and Primary Care, offering comprehensive services to manage your long-term health and treat injuries.
Our primary care services include:
- Family medicine services including routine medical care, annual wellness checks, immunizations and vaccinations
- Medications such as antibiotics or anti-inflammatories to treat acute conditions such as upper respiratory infections, urinary tract infections or abdominal pain
- Medications to treat and manage chronic conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or thyroid disease
We can evaluate your current strength, movement, posture, range of motion and any issues you may be experiencing, which can help prevent injuries. We assess your current abilities to determine training and conditioning needs for improving your performance in sports, dance or other activities.
Some of the pre-performance evaluations we provide include:
- Physicals and cardiac clearances for sports participation for athletes in a wide range of sports
- Pointe-readiness evaluations for ballet dancers
Conditions We Treat
Learn more about the conditions we treat with sports physiatry and primary care sports medicine, including:
- Common sports injuries and complications
- Foot and ankle injuries and conditions
- Hand, wrist and shoulder injuries and conditions
- Hip injuries and conditions
- Knee injuries and conditions
- Spine and back injuries and conditions
To schedule an appointment or learn more about sports medicine at Memorial, call 954-265-8326.