Hernia Treatment and Surgeries
When you have a hernia, even your daily routine can become difficult. That’s why we created a dedicated hernia program at Memorial Hospital Pembroke.
We want to minimize the stress and confusion that can come with looking for the right treatment. And as a community health system, we are committed to providing a hernia care resource that our patients and their families can continue to count on.
Hernia Treatment We Offer at Memorial Hospital Pembroke
Every person is different, so we believe every care plan should be different, too. Because we know there’s no one-size-fits-all hernia treatment, we’re one of South Florida’s only hospitals to offer:
- Open hernia surgery: The traditional approach to surgery, which can be the best option depending on your situation. You’ll receive general or local anesthesia, then our doctors will make two incisions and repair the hernia. Recovery time varies for each patient.
- Laparoscopic hernia surgery: A minimally invasive surgery. You’ll receive general anesthesia. We inflate your abdomen with gas, make two small incisions and insert a small camera that guides our repair. As with other minimally invasive procedures, recovery time tends to be shorter than that for open surgeries.
- Robotic hernia surgery: We make two small incisions, then use the da Vinci® robot to repair your hernia. Recovery time is usually shorter than if you have open hernia surgery.
What Makes Our Hernia Treatment Different
Here’s a surprising fact: Many men with inguinal hernias have one on the other side, too.
With a traditional (open) inguinal hernia surgery, your doctor might not be able to see the second hernia, and you’d have to return for a second surgery. But with minimally invasive surgery, we can find — and treat — both hernias at the same time.
That’s just one example of how we do things differently. Here’s what else sets our hernia treatment apart:
- Minimally invasive surgeries: Most of our surgeries are laparoscopic or robotic — rather than open — which typically leads to less scarring and pain, faster recovery and a lower chance the hernia will return. When it comes to inguinal hernias, the most common type of hernia, we repair nearly all cases with minimally invasive techniques.
- Trusted, latest-generation mesh: We offer many varieties of the latest-generation mesh. We even have samples you can touch and feel. Since our surgeons understand each patient is different, they’ll customize the mesh selection to your needs.
- Leaders in robotic surgeries: We use the latest robotic technologies, which allow our hernia treatments to be more precise and effective. Thanks to our da Vinci® robot, we have 3D vision during surgery — and can see structures at up to 10 times their normal size. We’re also the only area hospital to offer robotic component separation, an advanced technique for treating difficult hernias.
- Collaborative team approach: Our hernia surgeons collaborate to find the best hernia treatment plan for each patient. In complicated cases, they perform the surgery together. Find the right hernia doctor for you.
To schedule an appointment or learn more about our hernia and abdominal wall reconstruction program, call 954-276-0898.
If you’re a physician and would like to refer a patient to our hernia program, call 954-276-0898.