Heart and Vascular Treatments
Datasource: Nat'l Leaders in Heart Surgery
Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute offers TotalHeart care. This means our heart team is here for patients as we treat a broad range of heart and vascular conditions.
In urgent situations, we work to unblock arteries and provide lifesaving heart attack treatment. For ongoing conditions, we offer procedures to cure arrhythmia and reduce heart failure symptoms. We were the first hospital in Broward County to perform heart transplant surgery.
You can count on Memorial for your heart and vascular care, whether you need a routine procedure or a complex surgery. Our team offers:
Minimally invasive procedures
- Cardiac ablation: Also called catheter ablation, this minimally invasive procedure treats arrhythmias, including atrial fibrillation (A-fib). We have a large team of electrophysiologists (cardiologists who treat heart rhythm problems). We are a high-volume center for cardiac ablation, meaning we have a great deal of experience performing ablations.
- Cardiac catheterization/angioplasty: Cardiac catheterization helps us diagnose and treat heart and vascular conditions without the need for surgery. Angioplasty is a specific type of catheterization procedure we use when someone is having a heart attack. Sometimes we use catheterization when someone is at risk for a heart attack or stroke. We do more angioplasty procedures using the radial artery (versus the groin) than any other heart center in Broward County.
- Electrophysiology: We perform more than 800 electrophysiology procedures in our lab every year. This volume makes us a high-volume center for treating heart rhythm disturbances. We have expertise in ablation, as well as implanting devices to regulate heartbeat. Our nationally known EPs treat a variety of rhythm conditions, including rare ones.
Surgical procedures and devices
Datasource: Total Commitment to Comprehensive Cardiac Care
- Heart surgery: Our cardiac surgery team treats a wide range of conditions, including providing heart transplant for advanced heart failure. Our surgeons work closely with the entire heart and vascular team to determine when surgery is necessary. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons has given our hospital a 3-star rating for our patient care and outcomes in isolated aortic valve replacement (AVR) surgery and isolated mitral valve replacement/repair (MVRR) surgery in the current analysis of national data covering the period ending June 30, 2019. The 3-star rating, which denotes the highest quality tier, places Memorial among the most elite heart surgery programs in North America.
- Heart transplant: We were the first hospital in Broward County to perform heart transplant. For people suffering from the symptoms of heart failure, a heart transplant can offer a second chance at life. Our dedicated team of heart transplant specialists provide patient-centered care. We work together to support patients before, during and after transplant.
- TAVR: TAVR, or transcatheter aortic valve replacement, is a minimally invasive procedure for replacing a failing aortic heart valve. TAVR is currently FDA-approved for patients for whom surgery poses an intermediate risk. TAVR generally has less risks than surgery. Most patients are able to make a quick recovery.
- Vascular surgery: There are several ways to treat vascular disease, including surgery. Our vascular surgeons work closely with cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, radiologists, neurologists and other specialists to determine the right treatment for each patient. Vascular conditions can be complex, but we always have a vascular surgeon available for patients.
- Ventricular assist devices (VAD): A VAD is a mechanical pump we implant in the chest to help people who are having severe heart failure symptoms. We often use VAD as a bridge to transplant, to help someone stay healthy while they wait for a heart to become available. We have a dedicated VAD team that works with these patients.
To schedule an appointment or learn more about heart and vascular care at Memorial, call 855-400-6284.