How We Diagnose Your Heart Condition
Whether you need a simple diagnostic test or require a more complex examination, your studies will be performed with sophisticated equipment.
Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute uses leading-edge equipment to help detect a variety of heart conditions. Our fellowship-trained team members review your images to identify issues and begin designing your personal treatment plan.
Many tests are used to diagnose heart problems. Your doctor may perform one of the following tests:
- Cardiac MRI – offers a precise scan of your heart and major blood vessels without radiation. Our new MRI scanner has a larger than normal internal diameter, which reduces claustrophobia for larger patients.
- Echocardiography – evaluates the function of your heart valves, the size of your heart's four chambers and the effectiveness of your heart muscle contraction
- Electrophysiology – used to diagnose and treat a variety of cardiac arrhythmias
- Holter monitoring – a device that records your heart’s activity for 24 to 48 hours or longer
- Stress tests – used to measure how well your heart performs during physical activity
- Cardiac catheterization – allows your doctor to take pictures (angiograms) of the coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart muscle
- 3D Imaging – this procedure helps a physician locate problems while limiting the dosage of radiation