Heather Spader, MD
I am a board-certified pediatric neurosurgeon at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. I treat patients with brain and spinal cord tumors, hydrocephalus, spina bifida, Chiari malformations, epilepsy and other neurosurgical conditions.
I understand that discovering your child has a neurological issue can be overwhelming and stressful, so I try to do everything in my power to help families feel at ease. I try to ensure that my patients can get appointments quickly, as well as obtain test results as soon as possible. Once we have the information we need, I will discuss all of our findings and your child's treatment options with you. My goal is to provide high-quality care for your child while helping to put you at ease.
At Joe DiMaggio, we are lucky to have one of the most collaborative teams that I have ever worked with. Doctors, nurses and surgeons all communicate and coordinate care to provide effective, efficient and convenient care for you and your family.
In addition to providing patient care, I also serve as an adjunct professor at Florida Atlantic University, helping to educate the next generation of physicians.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Spader
- University Of South Dakota School Of Medicine, 2007
- Brown Univ Som-Rhode Island Hospital, 2008, Surgery
- Brown University Program, 2014, Neurosurgery
- University Of Utah/Primary Children's Med Ctr, 2015, Pediatric Neurosurgery
Peer-Reviewed Publications in Progress
- Ratanaprasatporn L, Spader H, Grossberg J, Klinge P. Pituitary Apoplexy and Vasospasm Following Removal of Craniopharyngioma. (In progress)
- Hertzler DA, Spader H, Kestle J, Riva-Cambrin, J. Impact of an Institutional Shunt Protocol on the Incidence of Ventricular Reservoir Infection in Preterm Infants. (In progress)
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
- Child Maltreatment Medico-Legal Terminology and Interpretation of Medical Findings: A Consensus of Medical and Legal Child Practitioners in the Philippines. The Advisory Board Foundation, Manila, Philippines, 2002.
- The Care Continuum for Child Abuse and Neglect: A Physician’s Guide. The Advisory Board Foundation, Manila, Philippines, 2001.
- Examining the Mandatory Death Penalty for Familial Child Rape Perpetrators: An Academic Treatise for Physicians. The Advisory Board Foundation, Manila, Philippines, 2001.
- Scoliosis and Chiari I Malformations. Brockmeyer D and Spader H in The Chiari Malformations. Tubbs and Oakes (Eds.), May 2013.
- Brockmeyer DL, Spader HS. Complex Chiari Malformations in Children: Diagnosis and Management. Neurosurg. Clin. N. Am.2015.
- Ventricular Shunts for Hydrocephalus. Spader H and Riva-Cambrin J. in Fundamentals of Pediatric Surgery, Second Edition, Mattei et al (Eds.) in press.
- Melvyn Gelch Neurosurgery Resident Education Fellowship, 2013
- AANS/CNS Resident Traveling Fellowship in Pediatric Neurosurgery, 2011
- Dean’s Academic Achievement Award, University of South Dakota, 2007
- Donald L. Alcott Award for Clinical Promise, University of South Dakota, 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Member, University of South Dakota, 2006
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, Member, University of South Dakota, 2006
- Karl H. Wegner Award for Excellence in Pathology, University of South Dakota, 2005
- Kelsey Award for Excellence in Pharmacology, University of South Dakota, 2005
- Lulu B. Wheeler Scholarship for Academic Performance, University of South Dakota, 2005
- Satish Koneru Award for Excellence in Physiology, University of South Dakota, 2004
- Golden Key National Honor Society, University of Virginia, 1995-1997
- Echols Scholar, University of Virginia, 1993-1997
- Class of 1997 Trustee, University of Virginia
- AANS/CNS Section on Pediatrics
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Spader H, Kulkarni A, Warf B, Mugamba J, Ssenyonga P, Riva-Cambrin J. Attitudes Regarding Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy and Choroid Plexus Coagulation (ETV+CPC) and the Effect of Training at CURE Children’s Hospital, Uganda Among North American Pediatric Neurosurgeons. Oral presentation at Hydrocephalus 2015. Calgary, Canada.
- Spader H, O’Muircheartaigh J, Ellermeier A, Cosgrove GR, Deoni SC. Myelin Imaging in Epilepsy. Heilbrun Research Symposium. University of Utah. Salt Lake City, UT. June 2015.
- Spader H, O’Muircheartaigh J, Ellermeier A, Cosgrove GR, Deoni SC. Myelin Imaging Applications in Neurosurgery. Annual Neurosurgery in the Rockies. Beaver Creek, CO. February, 2015.
- Spader H. In Utero Repair of Fetal Myelomeningocele. Neonatal ICU Grand Rounds. Primary Children’s Hospital. December 2014.
- Spader H, Walker L, Cabeen, R, Rogg J, Deoni S. A Prospective Study Comparing Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) and Quantitative Myelination Patterns in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (mTBI). Accepted for oral presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2014.
- Spader H, Ellermeier A, Walker L, Rogg J, Cosgrove R, Deoni S. Myelination and Diffusion Tensor Imaging Findings in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Oral presentation at the CNS Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Ellermeier A, Spader H, Jethani Z, Machan J, LaFrance WC, Rogg et al. Clinical Implications of Early 3T-MR with Susceptibility Weighted (SWI) and Blood Flow (ASL) in Traumatic Brain Injury: Preliminary Report. Oral presentation at Radiological Society of North America, 2013.
- Spader HS, Deoni SC, Dean D, Muircheartaigh J, Boxerman J, Tracy M, Gaitanis J, Cosgrove GR. Using a Novel Myelin Imaging Technique to Identify Previously Occult Seizure Foci. Oral presentation at the AANS Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Spader H, Bollo R, Walker M, Riva-Cambrin J. Risk Factors for Baclofen Pump Infection: A Multivariate Analysis. Oral presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2012.
- Spader H, Piryatinsky I, Salloway S, Malloy P, Klinge P. Do we need comprehensive cognitive test batteries in the post TAP and post surgical evaluation of patients? Oral presentation at the International Society for Hydrocephalus and Cerebrospinal Fluid Disorders Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Spader HS, Grossberg J, Morrison JF, Stani T, Klinge PM. Programmable Shunts and Headphones: Are they Safe? Results from a Bench Study. Poster presentation at the International Society for Hydrocephalus and Cerebrospinal Fluid Disorders Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Hertzler D, Spader H, Kestle, J, Riva-Cambrin J. Impact of an Institutional Shunt Protocol on the Incidence of Ventricular Reservoir Infection in Preterm Infants. Oral presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2011.
- Spurgeon A, Spader HS, Neither Hydrocephalus nor the Pre-Resection use of External Ventricular Drains are associated with Cerebellar Mutism. Poster presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2011.
- Spader HS, Boxerman J, Mandelbaum D, Exil G, Eberson C, Rogg J, Klinge PM. Coagulation of cerebellar tonsils and far lateral foramen magnum opening without dural grafting for decompression of Chiari I. Oral presentation at the International Society for Hydrocephalus and Cerebrospinal Fluid Disorders Annual Meeting 2011 and the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2011.
- Spader HS, Sullivan S, Hoy E, Klinge PM. Fenestration and split calvarial bone graft cranioplasty for treatment of a frontal arachnoid cyst with skull defect. Poster presentation at the International Society for Hydrocephalus and Cerebrospinal Fluid Disorders Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Grossberg J, Spader H, Oyelese A. Use of the Mayfield Frame Facilitates Trajectory in Anterior Odontoid Screw. Poster presentation at the AANS Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Grossberg J, Spader H, Oyelese A. Age Increases the Risk of Postoperative Dysphagia and Aspiration After Anterior Odontoid Screw Fixation. Poster presentation at the AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves, 2011.
- Spader H, Grossberg J, Murphy T, Feit L, Jayaraman M. Successful Endovascular Treatment of a Holo-Hemispheric Cerebral Arteriovenous Fistula in an Infant. Poster presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section Meeting, 2010 and the Lifespan Research Celebration 2011.
- Doberstein C, Goldman M, Grossberg J, Spader H. The Safety and Feasibility of Same Day Discharge After Carotid Endarterectomy. Poster presentation at the CNS Annual Meeting, 2010.
- Miller MC, Spader H, Harmening K, Heile A, Pascale CL, Johanson CE, Brinker T, Silverberg GD, Klinge PM, Microglial downregulation in a double transgenic mouse model associated with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease (AD) after intraventricular implantation of alginate encapsulated Glukagon-like-peptide-1 (GLP-1) producing human mesenchymal stem cells. Presented at the 17th Annual Lifespan Hospital Research Celebration, 2009.
- PJ Ronan, L Callahan, MD Berven, MC Hansen, HL Spader, K Tschetter. Local Knockdown Of Corticotropin-Releasing Factor In The Rat Central Nucleus Of The Amygdala Using RNA Interference Program No. 889.19. 2005 Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience, 2005.