Marco Ruiz, MD
Dr. Marco Ruiz is an oncologist specializing in hematologic or blood cancers, including leukemia, lymphoma, myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) and myelofibrosis. He is also an experienced bone marrow transplant specialist and is active in cancer research.
Growing up the son of a nurse, Dr. Ruiz knew at a young age that he wanted to pursue a career in medicine. But it was his father’s battle with cancer that sparked a passion for helping patients with the disease. After experiencing firsthand how open communication and family involvement in patient care can impact outcomes, Dr. Ruiz has made both practices a cornerstone of his approach to care.
Dr. Ruiz earned his medical degree from the University of San Marcos School of Medicine in Peru and completed additional training at San Juan City Hospital in Puerto Rico, Louisiana State University, and Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans.
In addition to treating patients, Dr. Ruiz performs cancer research and clinical trials, with a focus on perfecting bone marrow transplantation and the treatment of patients with cancer and HIV.Related Medical Services
- Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos
- San Juan City Hospital, 2002, Internal Medicine
- San Juan City Hospital, 2004, Internal Medicine
- Louisiana State University School Of Medicine, 2006, Infectious Disease
- Louisiana State University School Of Medicine, 2016, Oncology and Hematology
- Ochsner Clinic Foundation Program, 2016
- University Of Illinois College Of Medicine, 2007, Geriatric Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Geriatric Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Infectious Disease
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Palliative Medicine