Syed Razi, MD
I am a thoracic surgeon at Memorial Healthcare System. I treat and manage various cancers and other benign illnesses in patients within the chest cavity and the foregut. I am also trained in minimally invasive and robotic surgery.
I decided to become a surgeon well before my medical education started. I developed a passion for cancer treatment from the early days of my surgical training. During my research fellowship, I had the opportunity to study various thoracic cancers in animal models, which inspired me to become a thoracic surgeon. It is my utmost privilege to help my patients with some of the most devastating illnesses in the chest.
I advocate for the care of my patients from the moment we first meet. I’m a firm believer in patient education and, with that in mind, I educate my patients regarding their illness and provide them evidence-based treatment options. I also ensure that my office provides my patients with all the support they need to expedite their care. And together, we will embark on the journey towards healing.
I know a cancer diagnosis can be devastating. But as a thoracic surgeon trained in minimally invasive and robotic surgery, I take pride in being able to fight this illness early on. With timely diagnosis and treatment, it is often curable. The best part of my job is when I deliver the news to patients that they are cancer free.
In addition to working with patients, I’m also actively involved in several medical societies, publish in peer-reviewed journals, and present my research work at various national general and thoracic surgical forums.
Most recently, my work was nominated as the finalist for the prestigious Walton Lillehei Resident Forum award at the 99th Annual Meeting of American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS).Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Razi
- Jinnah Sindh Medical University, 2006
- Bronx-Lebanon Hosp Center, 2013, Surgery
- University of Connecticut School of Medicine, 2012, Surgery
- Bronx-Lebanon Hosp Center, 2017, Surgery
- University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2019, Thoracic Surgery
American Board of Thoracic Surgery-Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
- AATS Surgical Robotics Fellowship, 2018
- Ahmad‐Adaya Cardiothoracic Research Fellowship Award, 2009
- American College of Surgeons
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Eastern Cardiothoracic Surgical Society
- Southern Thoracic Surgical Association
- 2009 – 11 Research Fellow, Thoracic and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Department of Surgery St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, NY
- Razi SS. Unusual etiology of metastatic brain lesions. 51st Annual Florida Society of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgeons, July 2018, Key Largo, FL.
- Razi SS. Robotic assisted repair of bronchopleural fistula after bilobectomy. 51st Annual Florida Society of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgeons, July 2018, Key Largo, FL.
- Razi, SS. Medullary thyroid carcinoma in children: A population based analysis. 5th Annual Academic Surgical Congress (AAS/SUS), February 9th, 2014, San Diego, CA.
- Razi, SS. Paclitaxel cytotoxicity in non‐small cell lung cancer is significantly enhanced by a novel small molecule by direct activation of procaspase‐3. American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS), May 2012, San Francisco, CA.
- Razi, SS, Park K, Levin R, Catalano R, Jiminez C, Sasson J, Belsley S, Todd G, Bhora FY. Pay‐for‐Performance programs reduce hospital costs without compromising care in surgical patients. Surgical Forum – American College of Surgeons (ACS), October 2011, San Francisco, CA.
- Razi SS, Park K, Li X, Jour G, Schwartz G, Latif MJ, Todd G, Belsley S, Connery CP, Bhora FY. Paclitaxel cytotoxicity is significantly enhanced by a novel pro‐ apoptotic agent in the treatment of non‐small cell lung cancer. Surgical Forum – American College of Surgeons (ACS), October 2011, San Francisco, CA.
- Razi SS. Dietary flaxseed protects against lung ischemia reperfusion injury via inhibition of apoptosis and inflammation in a murine model. New York ACS Chapter Meeting. May 1st, New York, NY.
- Razi SS, Schwartz GS, Park K, Belsley S, Todd G, Connery CP, Bhora FY. Endobronchial stenting facilitates adjuvant therapy resulting in improved survival in patients with malignant central airway obstruction. American Thoracic Society, May 2011, Denver, CO.
- Razi SS, Li X, Park K, Schwartz GS, Belsley S, Todd G, Connery CP, Bhora FY. Antitumor activity of cisplatin and paclitaxel is significantly enhanced by novel pro‐apoptotic agent in non‐small cell lung cancer. 6th Annual Academic Surgical Congress (AAS/SUS), February 2011, Huntington Beach, CA.
- Razi SS. Direct activation of procaspase‐3 inhibits human lung adenocarcinoma in vivo. Surgical Forum – American College of Surgeons (ACS), October 6th, 2010, Washington DC.
- Razi SS, Nguyen D, Villamizar N. Lobectomy does not confer survival advantage over segmentectomy in patients with clinical stage 1 NSCLC having unsuspected pathological N1/N2: Essential role of adjuvant treatment. Annual Zubrod Memorial Lecture & Sylvester Cancer Research Poster Session, Miami, FL – April, 2019
- Stephens‐McDonnough JA, Razi SS, Villamizar N, Nguyen D. Aiming for an ‘opioid free’ therapeutic strategy for management of postoperative pain in thoracic patients undergoing thoracotomy or thoracoscopy: Program development and implementation. AATS Surgical Patient Safety Course, June 2018 Boston, MA.
- B. Stiles, A. Nasar, S. Razi, A. Nguyen, P. Lee, J. Port, N. Altorki. EOX versus other platinum based doublets for neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced esophageal adenocarcinoma. ESTS 24th European Conference on General Thoracic Surgery, 29 May – 1 June 2016, Naples, Italy.
- Reddy, V.S., Razi, S., Mukerji, A., Koganti, S., John, M., & Shah, A.K. (2015). Recalcitrant Hypocalcaemia after Thyroidectomy in a Patient with Sleeve Gastrectomy ‐ Challenges in Management. Poster presented at: Southeastern Surgical Congress; Chattanooga, TN.
- Gowda, V.S., Razi, S.S., Reddy, V.S., Gilchrist, B., & Farkas, D. (2015). Smoking increases the incidence of recurrent colonic diverticulitis. Poster presented at: Southeastern Surgical Congress; Chattanooga, TN.
- Sagalovich D, Schwartz G, Razi SS, Surick G, Boone D, Connery C, Belsley S, Bhora FY. Outcomes of triple approach video‐assisted thoracic surgery for primary spontaneous pneumothorax. American Thoracic Society, May 19th, 2010, New Orleans, LA.
- Schwartz G, Razi SS, Li X, Boone D, Belsley S, Todd G, Connery CP, Bhora FY. Direct activation of procaspase‐3 inhibits human lung adenocarcinoma in vitro and in vivo. 4th Annual St. Luke’s – Roosevelt Hospital Staff Research Fair, May 14th, 2010, New York, NY.
- Schwartz, G.S., Park, K., Gmora, S.B., McGill, K., Blasberg, J.D., Boone, D., Razi, S.S., McGinty, J.J., Bhora, F.Y., Belsley, S.J., & Teixeira, J.A. (2010). The relationship between post‐operative anatomy and endoscopic stent migration. Poster presented at: Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons 12th World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery; Landover, MD.
- Schwartz GS, Razi SS, Blasberg JD, Belsley SJ, Bhora FY, Connery, CP. Feasibility of robotic‐assisted thoracoscopic resection of malignant thymomas. International Thymic Malignancy Interest Group (ITMIG), May 6th, 2010, New York, NY.
- Schwartz, G.S., Razi, S.S., Boone, D., Belsley, S.J., Connery, C.P., & Bhora, F.Y. (2010). Complete Tracheobronchial Stenting For Obstructng Metastatic Ewing’s Sarcoma. Poster presented at: American Thoracic Society; New Orleans, LA.
- Bhora FY, Razi SS, Ippagunta N, Latif MJ, Sancheti M, Todd GJ, Connery CP. Preoperative Medical Research Council Dyspnea Scale and ECOG predict survival in patients undergoing stenting for malignant airway obstruction. American College of Chest Physicians – CHEST, Nov 4th, 2009, San Diego, CA.