Rhian Purdy, MD
I am an emergency psychiatrist at Memorial Healthcare System where I treat patients with acute exacerbations of mental conditions, drug addiction related emergencies, first-time occurrences of mental conditions and other emergency concerns.
I often encounter new patients when they are in the midst of a difficult time or crisis. Biological, psychological and social factors all play a role when someone is facing a challenging situation or struggling. I pride myself on being an active listener and working with patients to understand what they are feeling and going through. I want to be able to first understand where they are coming from, so I can help them move forward.
I do my very best to assess a patient's needs while listening to them so that I can help connect them with services within our system that will address their needs. This may be a local AA group, an addiction rehab program, therapist or other service.
Even though I generally see and treat patients in emergency situations, I always make myself available for patients in case they need or want to come back to me for further guidance.
In addition to providing patient care, I'm also passionate about teaching. Before entering medical school I earned a Masters degree in education and taught high school students. Now, I enjoy mentoring residents and young doctors at Memorial.
When I'm not working, I volunteer for non-profit organizations including the March of Dimes, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and local environmental groups.
- Medical University of the Americas, 2012
- Medical College Of Georgia, 2016
European Society of Regional Anaesthesia 30th Congress Abstract submission: Surgical Spinal Cord Stimulator Leads Versus Percutaneous Leads In The Treatment Of Neuropathic Back Pain Syndromes
- American Psychiatry Association
- American Academy of Emergency Medicine
- American College of Emergency Physicians (EMRA)
- Clinician Outreach and Communication Activity (CDC)
- March of Dimes/Genetic Birth Defects Salk Coordinator
- Who's Who in Education
- Psi Chi Psychology Honor Society
During my training, I participated in several research projects including:
Research projects include:
- Ketamine (IV) in Acute Suicidal Patients Trial, GRU Augusta Georgia
- Columbia Suicide Screening Assessment on Patient Care and EMR Implementation, Retrospective GRU Augusta Georgia
- European Society of Regional Anaesthesia 30th Congress Abstract submission: Surgical Spinal Cord Stimulator Leads Versus Percutaneous Leads In The Treatment Of Neuropathic Back Pain Syndromes
- Alvarado Hospital Lab Services Internship San Diego, California
- Scripps Clinic Laboratory Services Internship for Grossmont Educators
- Cybertory TM STR Genotyping Workshop, Miramar College California
2017 Emerald Coast Emergency Care Symposium Speaker Psychiatric Emergency: Survey of Best Practices