Carolina Miranda Torres, MD
I am a pediatric pulmonologist at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. I treat pediatric patients with numerous respiratory diseases including asthma, pneumonia, bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) and Cystic Fibrosis, among others.
Growing up, I was affected by asthma and sinus disease. I have a strong family history of allergies, asthma and sinusitis. I had to be hospitalized several times throughout my childhood due to my symptoms. These experiences inspired me to become a doctor and to want to help other children going through similar situations.
I love interacting with children and their families each day. I also enjoy the diversity found in South Florida, and the opportunity to meet and treat patients from around the world.
I earned my medical degree from Universidad Central del Caribe, School of Medicine in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. I then trained at the University Pediatric Hospital in Puerto Rico and Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami Medical Center, where I trained under the mentorship of Dr. Andrew Colin, one of the leading pediatric pulmonologists in the world.
In addition to providing patient care, I am also actively involved with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and have participated in their conferences, fundraising efforts, and research.
Related Medical Services
- Universidad Central Del Caribe, 2011
- University Of Puerto Rico School Of Medicine, 2014, Pediatrics
- University Of Miami School Of Medicine, 2017, Pediatric Pulmonology
Throughout my training, I was involved in research regarding babies born with bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD), as well as quality improvement projects for asthma care and education.
- Effectiveness of Single Dose Intravenous Furosemide in Moderate to Severe Bronchiolitis. Department of Pediatric Pulmonology, University of Miami
- Identification of Novel microRNA Targets in Neonatal Lungs of CTGF-Transgenic Mice. Department of Neonatology, University of Miami
- Proficiency of Pediatric Residents in Performing Endotracheal Intubation. Department of Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, University of Puerto Rico
- Knowledge and Attitudes among Universidad Central del Caribe Medical Students toward HIV/AIDS patients in 2010 Burgos M; Cabrera K; Miranda C; Silvestrini, Rodriguez K; Parrilla I; Universidad Central del Caribe. 2011.
- June 2017: Poster Presentation: 16th International Congress on Pediatric Pulmonology: “Non-systemic allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA) in cystic fibrosis”
- May 2016: Poster Discussion: American Thoracic Society Conference: “Identification of Novel microRNA Targets in Neonatal Lungs of CTGF-Transgenic Mice”, San Francisco, California.
- May 2016: Poster Presentation: American Thoracic Society Conference: “ Bronchial Diverticula in a Patient with HIV and Pneumocystis Jiroveci Infection”, San Francisco, California.
- May 2016: Poster Presentation: American Thoracic Society Conference: “Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia, Hypotrichosis and Macular Dystrophy: Coincidence or a Novel Syndrome?” San Francisco, California
- March 2016: Oral Case Discussion: 12th International Course on Pediatric Pulmonology (ICPP) “Case of a 13 y/o female with Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia, Hypotrichosis and Macular Dystrophy”. Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, France
- March 2016: Poster Presentation: UM/JMH Pediatrics Annual Research Symposium “Case of a 13 y/o female with Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia, Hypotrichosis and Macular Dystrophy”. Miami, Florida
- January 2016: Pediatric Academic Day: “Pediatric Pulmonology Board Review” Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami.
- October 2015: Oral Presentation: Eastern Pediatric Consortium Webinar. “Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia, Hypotrichosis 3 CMT 11/2016 and Macular Dystrophy: Coincidence or a Novel Syndrome?”
- September 2015: Journal Club: “Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia and Caffeine” University of Miami.
- September 2015: Poster Presentation: Future of Medicine Summit James Byrnes, MD Poster Symposium “Methemoglobinemia in a child with Cystic Fibrosis: A Hidden Diagnosis” West Palm Beach, Florida
- May 2015: Poster Discussion: American Thoracic Society Conference: “A 15 Year Old Adolescent with Back Pain While Playing Tennis”, Denver, Colorado
- March 2014: Pediatric Academic Day and Visual Diagnosis: “Pediatric Pulmonology Board Review” Jackson Memorial Hospital / University of Miami.
- June 2014: Oral Presentation: Senior Residents Research Presentation: “Proficiency of Pediatric Residents in Performing Endotracheal Intubation” University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico