Daniel Hsu, MD
Medical Director, Pediatric Pulmonology, Palm Beach
I am a pediatric pulmonologist and sleep medicine physician at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital. I treat patients with asthma, cystic fibrosis, sleep apnea, those who require a tracheostomy and ventilator to breath, and children with other lung conditions.
I became a doctor to follow in my father's footsteps. Growing up, I vividly remember people approaching my father all the time to thank him for the care he provided for them or a loved one. It was inspiring to see how much of an impact he had on our community.
Now, I enjoy making a difference in the lives of children with pulmonary conditions. There is no greater satisfaction as a medical provider than helping a child overcome a condition that impacts their daily life. Establishing a close relationship with patients and their parents is also truly rewarding.
When meeting a family for the first time, my priority is to listen to what both the child and caregivers have to share. Taking care of medical conditions is a team effort, and I aim to work closely with each family. There can be multiple ways to address a problem, and incorporating everyone's input ensures we are doing what's best for the child.
Before joining Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, I served as an active duty U.S. Army physician, and had the honor to provide care for service members and their families. The military has given me a great perspective on life and my goals as a doctor.
Throughout my career, I've also had the opportunity to serve in many leadership positions and be involved nationally with organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics and Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
Related Medical Services
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 1996
- National Capital Consortium, 1997, Pediatrics
- National Capital Consortium, 1999, Pediatrics
- Case Western Reserve School Of Medicine, 2006, Pediatric Pulmonology
- Wilford Hall Usaf Med Ctr, 2017, Sleep Medicine
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatrics
American Board of Pediatrics-Sleep Medicine
- Finalist, American Academy of Pediatrics, Andrew Margileth Award 2015
- Gea Miller Educator Award, Department of Pediatrics, BAMC 2014
- 3rd Place, American Academy of Pediatrics Andrew Margileth Award 2012
- 2nd place, American Academy of Pediatrics Ogden Bruton Award 2006
- Pediatric Science Day Award-Best Fellow's Basic Science Paper 2005
- Clinical Fellowship Award, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation 2005
- Pediatric Science Day Award-Best Fellow's Basic Science Paper 2004
- Department of Defense Quality and Patient Safety Award 2015
- Bronze Star-Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
- Doctor's Day Award for Patient Focus, Darnall Army Medical Center 2000
- Department of Defense and Veterans Administration, Asthma Clinical Practice Guidelines Committee Member
- Department of Defense Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- American Academy of Pediatrics Uniformed Services Chapter East Board Member
- Chief, Pediatric Subspecialty Clinic
- Chief, Pediatric Pulmonology
- Medical Director Cystic Fibrosis Center, Brooke Army Medical Center
- Chief, Medical Management, Brooke Army Medical Center
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Thoracic Society
- American College of Chest Physicians
My research has touched on a variety of pediatric conditions, including cystic fibrosis, asthma and sleep apnea. The Department of Defense Quality and Safety Department chose one of my asthma projects as a Top 10 quality care initiative.
I also have a special interest in the potential impact of inhaled steroids on growth.
- Hsu, Daniel P, Hansen SL, Roberts TA, Murray CK, Mysliwiec V.: Predictors of Physician Well-Being in U.S. Army Physicians. Poster presentation at American College of Graduate Medical Education, 2017.
- Hsu, Daniel P, Lee, Thomas J, Barker, James: Outcome of Pediatric Inpatient Asthma Clinical Pathway Implementation in a Military Medical Center. Quality and Patient Safety Award May 19 Learning Circle Webinar Presentation, 2016.
- Hsu, Daniel P.,van Heeckeren, AM, Schluchter, MD, Xue,W, Davis PB: IL-17 targeted antibody treatment suppresses the excessive pulmonary inflammation in CF mice Podium & Poster presentation at North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference, 2006.
- “Pediatric Sleep Disorders”: Department of Pediatrics Grand Rounds, BAMC, San Antonio, TX, 2018.
- “Predictors of Healthy Wellness Behaviors in U.S. Army Physicians”: Podium presentation at 2017 BAMC Research Award Competition, San Antonio, TX, 2017.
- “My kid won’t stop coughing”: Podium presentation at 48th Annual Teaching Conference: Pediatrics for the Practitioner, San Antonio, TX, 2011.
- “Asthma Gadgets and Devices”: Podium presentation at 44th Annual Teaching Conference: Pediatrics for the Practitioner, San Antonio, TX, 2007.
- “Interpretation of Pulmonary Function Testing”: Invited lecture for Department of Pediatrics, Darnall Army Medical Center, Fort Hood, TX, 2011.
- “Pediatric Lower Airway Disease”: Invited lecture for Department of Otolarngology, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX, 2010.
- “Cystic Fibrosis Pulmonary Manifestations”: Invited lecture for San Antonio Cystic Fibrosis Medical Society, San Antonio, TX, 2007.
- “ Cystic Fibrosis”: Invited lecture for Department of Allergy and Immunology, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX, 2007.