Alejandra Fuentes, MD
I am a hematologist/oncologist at Memorial Healthcare System specializing in breast oncology. I provide care for patients during all stages of breast cancer, working closely with breast surgical oncologists and radiation oncologists to provide multidisciplinary care. I primarily focus on chemotherapy, hormonal therapy and targeted therapy options of breast cancer care.
From a very young age, I knew I wanted to work in a field of service. I was a high school teacher before I was a physician, and I ultimately chose to pursue medicine with the aim of assisting patients during a time of utmost need. I subspecialized in oncology because it provides an excellent platform to build rapport with and educate patients, two important aspects that make this job fulfilling for me. It's an honor to help guide patients through a challenging journey. Providing advanced care in one of the most rapidly evolving fields in medicine is also gratifying for me.
I love that oncology care relies on teamwork, and this teamwork is particularly enhanced in breast oncology. At Memorial, the nurses, surgical oncologists, radiation oncologists, technicians and others are all critical and work together to provide the highest level of care and the best experience for our patients.
I aim to provide comprehensive, multidisciplinary, and advanced care for my patients while emphasizing communication and ensuring they feel a strong sense of support from our team. During our first visit, my patients can expect many questions regarding their understanding of the disease, answers to bridge any gaps in that understanding, an informed plan with options for treatment (including any potentially available clinical trials), as well as connections to support services.
In addition to providing patient care, I'm also involved in clinical research. This enables me to help further our knowledge of breast cancer, explore new treatment options and make these advanced therapies available for our patients here in South Florida.
I also have an interest in global health and have participated in multiple outreach trips to Ecuador, Haiti and India. Through this work, I was awarded the International Medical Mission Service Award from the University of Florida College of Medicine in 2011.
Related Medical Services
- University of Florida College of Medicine, 2013
- University Of Florida-Gainesville, 2014, Internal Medicine
- University Of Florida-Gainesville, 2016, Internal Medicine
- Louisiana State University School Of Medicine, 2019, Oncology and Hematology
- Fuentes, A., Garcia, A. A Pilot Study to Evaluate the Efficacy of Fosaprepitant and Granisetron Transdermal System for the Prevention of Acute and Delayed Nausea and Vomiting in Breast Cancer Patients. Data completed, awaiting submission.
- Ali, A., Fuentes, A., Skelton, W., Wang, Y., McGorray, S., Dang, L., Dang, N. A Multi-Center Retrospective Analysis of the Effect of DPP4 Inhibitors on Progression Free Survival in Advanced Airway and Colorectal Cancers. Molecular and Clinical Oncology. 2019; 10: 118-124.
- Bourgeois, E., McQueen, K, Fuentes, A., Garcia, A. First Molecular Tumor Profiling of Hepatic Epithelioid Hemangioendothelioma (EHE). Journal of Investigative Medicine. 2019; 67: 364-565. Abstract 609.
- Jadhav, N., Fuentes, A., Moss, S., Hebert, S. Treatment of Therapy-Related AML with Liver Involvement. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 2019; 67: 364-565. Abstract 217.
Ali, A., Fuentes, A., Skelton, W., Wang, Y., McGorray, S., Dang, L., Dang, N. A Multi-Center Retrospective Analysis of the Effect of DPP4 Inhibitors on Progression Free Survival in Advanced Airway and Colorectal Cancers. 2018 ASCO Annual Meeting Abstract. J Clin Oncol 36, 2018 (suppl; abstr e24004).
- Fuentes, A., LaBier, G., Boulmay, B. Isolated Myelosarcoma Treated as AML, with Marrow Progression to MDS/MPN. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 2018; 66: 440.
- Fuentes, A.C., Lambird, J.E., George, T.J., Markham, M.J. Cancer Survivor’s History and Physical. Southern Medical Journal. 2017; 110: 37-44.
- Fuentes, A., Subbiah, S., Rigby, P. High-Dose Dexamethasone in Immune Thrombocytopenia. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 2017; 65: 594-595.
- Fuentes, A., Garcia, A. Advancements in Cervical Cancer Prevention and Management of Persistent, Recurrent, and Metastatic Disease: 2016 Update. American Journal of Hematology Oncology. 2016; 12 (12): 8-17.
- Fuentes, A.C., De Jesus, R.O., Reisman, D.N. Chemotherapeutic Agents for Brain Metastases in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Case Report with Eribulin Mesylate and Review of the Literature. Clinical Medical Reviews and Case Reports. 2016, 3:107.
- Fuentes, A., Szwed E., Spears C., Thaper S., Dang, L., Dang, N. Denileukin Diftitox (Ontak®) as Maintenance Therapy for Peripheral T-Cell Lymphomas: Three Cases with Sustained Remission. Case Reports in Oncological Medicine, vol. 2015, Article ID 123756, 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/123756.
- Excellence-in-Teaching Award. Department of Medicine, UF College of Medicine, 2016.
- International Medical Mission Service Award. UF College of Medicine. 2011.
- Rookie Teacher of the Year. Ronald Reagan/Doral Senior High, Miami, FL, 2008.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology