Andrew Chang, MD
I am a physiatrist and interventional pain specialist at Memorial Healthcare System. I specialize in treating patients with musculoskeletal pain and disorders including of the shoulder, elbow, wrist/hand, hip and knee.
I also treat those with neck, back, joint and nerve pain; bulging and herniated discs; degenerative disc disease; spinal stenosis; carpal tunnel syndrome; postdural puncture headaches; spontaneous intracranial hypotension; sciatica; myofascial pain; chronic migraines; spasticity; and complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS).
As a physiatrist, I love having the opportunity to interact with patients and create treatment plans to help restore their function and quality of life. I know it can be nerve-racking to see a doctor, especially when dealing with complex conditions and pain. It is a privilege to be entrusted with someone’s health and wellbeing, and I take that privilege seriously. I ensure that each patient is heard from and treated with respect and kindness.
In addition to providing nonsurgical pain solutions and treatments, I also perform minimally invasive procedures for the management of pain. This includes a variety of injections; cervical and lumbar medial branch blocks; radiofrequency ablations; selective nerve root blocks and neurolysis; spinal cord stimulator trials and implants; Botox injections for migraine and spasticity; and epidural blood patches.
I also perform ultrasound and fluoroscopy guided procedures to help patients dealing with different chronic pain syndromes.
My team and I are here to help do everything we can to make our patients feel better so they can get back to doing the things they love.
Related Medical Services
- Ross University School of Medicine, 2014
- Detroit Medical Center Sinai Grace Hospital, 2016
- Univ Of Miami School Of Medicine/Jmh, 2019, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Washington University Mo, 2017, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Thomas Jefferson University, 2020, Pain Medicine
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
- American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
- North American Spine Society
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia
- North American Neuromodulation Society
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
My research interests include investigating the efficacy of utilizing organic and regenerative remedies (such as stem cells, turmeric and medicinal marijuana) in augmenting already proven evidence-based treatment methods.
Other research projects include:
- Co-Investigator, Robert Irwin MD, University of Miami SOM, Miami, FL Sept. 2017 – June 2019
Investigated the role of median nerve changes pre- and post-exercise in patients with spinal cord injuries. Paper published.
- Co-Investigator, Constantine Sarantopoulos MD, University of Miami SOM, Miami, FL Sept. 2017 – Sept. 2018
Investigated the efficacy of supraorbital nerve blocks in intractable neuropathic ocular pain. Case report published.
- Co-Investigator, David Carr MD, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO Sept. 2016 – June 2018
Investigated the risk factors in contributing to acute care transfers in inpatient rehab. Presented results at AAPM&R Annual Assembly.
- Small L, Chang A, Levitt R, Galor A, Sarantopoulos C (2018, April) Periocular Nerve Blocks for the Treatment of Ocular Pain. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Annual Meeting.
- Chang A, Goldhardt R, Levitt R, Gregori N, Sarantopoulos C, Galor A (2018, March) Resolution of Pain with Periocular Injections in a Patient with a 7-Year History of Chronic Ocular Pain. American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports.
- Chang A, Metzler J (2018, February) Case Report: Skeletal Metastases from Carcinoma of Pancreas Presenting as Leg Pain. Association of Academic Physiatrists Annual Meeting.
- Chang A, Khurana S (2018, January) Case Report: A Novel Case of a Deep Brain Stimulator’s Effect on an Intrathecal Drug Delivery System. North American Neuromodulation Society Annual Meeting.
- Chang A, Cross A, Khurana S (2017, November) Case Report: Patient Activated Delivery of Intrathecal Baclofen in Modulating Spasticity and Pain in a Patient with Multiple Sclerosis. American Society of Regional Anesthesia Annual Pain Medicine Meeting.
- Cross A, Chang A, Khurana S, Patin D (2017, November) Systematic Review of Subcutaneous Peripheral Nerve Stimulation for Trigeminal Neuralgia. American Society of Regional Anesthesia Annual Pain Medicine Meeting.
- Cross A, Chang A, Khurana S (2017, November) Chronic Spasticity Pain Managed with the Patient Activated Feature of an Intrathecal Drug Delivery System. American Society of Regional Anesthesia Annual Pain Medicine Meeting.
- Chang A, Huskey T. (2017, October) Diverticular Associated Colitis After Gastric Tube Placement in a Hemorrhagic Stroke Patient with Severe Dysphagia: A Case Report. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Assembly Poster Session.
- Chang A, Bonnette M, Bijlani. R, Carr D. (2017, October) Risk Factors for Acute Care Transfers in the Inpatient Rehabilitation: A Review of the Literature. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Assembly Poster Session.
- Chang A, White BA. (2017, October) Peripheral Nerve Blocks. StatPearls Publishing 2017. PMID: 29083659.
- Chang A,Bhimji SS. (2017, October) Capsaicin. StatPearls Publishing 2017. PMID: 29083760.
- Chang A, Dulebohn SC. (2017, October) Piriformis Injection. StatPearls Publishing 2017. PMID: 28846327.
- Chang A (2019, May) Going Green: Chronic Pain Management University of Miami Research Day Grand Rounds, Miami, FL
- Chang A (2018, August) Managing Fibromyalgia University of Miami Department of Anesthesiology Lecture Series, Miami, FL
- Chang A. (2017, August) Complementary and Alternative Medicine in PM&R. University of Miami Introductory PM&R Resident Lecture Series, Miami, FL.
- Chang, A. (2016, December). Case Presentation: Heterotopic Ossification in Traumatic Brain Injury. Washington University PM&R Residency Lecture Series, St. Louis, MO.
- Chang A. (2016, October) Article Review: Efficacy of Subacromial Corticosteroid Injection for Persistent Pain After Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair. Rehab in Review.
- Chang A, Arsene C. (2016, June) A Quality Improvement Initiative at Sinai Grace Primary Care Clinic to Lower HbA1c and to Improve Outcomes for Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. QuESST Research Day Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI.