Maria Avila Robles, MD
I am a cardiologist specialized in advanced heart failure and transplantation and board-certified in Advanced Heart Failure/Transplant Cardiology at Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute. I care for patients with end-stage heart failure requiring advanced therapies such as mechanical circulatory support and/or heart transplantation.
I knew I wanted to become a doctor since I was a kid. I have always had the desire to help people. Taking care of patients with chronic heart failure has been a very unique experience. I have had the opportunity to create special bonds with my patients. Everything they go through, I go through along with them. They become like family, and I do everything I can to meet their needs.
At Memorial, quality care and compassion are our top priorities. We make sure each patient gets the attention and unique care that they need so they can live their best life.
Before joining Memorial, I received specialized training and performed research at several institutions including Mayo Clinic, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine/Steward Carney Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Avila Robles
- Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, 2005
- Carney Hospital, 2009, Internal Medicine
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 2013
- Mayo Clinic, 2017, Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Cardiovascular Disease
- American Board of Internal Medicine-Internal Medicine
- 2017: Elected as a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology.
- 2016: Howard Kane Resident/Fellow of the Year at Mount Sinai Medical Center. Special recognition as Chief Cardiology Fellow at Mount Sinai Medical Center.
- 2015: NBE: Diplomate in Adult Comprehensive Echocardiography.
- 2015: Elected by faculty and peers as Chief Cardiology Fellow at Mount Sinai Medical Center.
- 2013: ABIM: American Board of Internal Medicine Certificate.
- 2010: Best research project in the Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital – Harvard Medical School.
- 2007: ECFMG: Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates Certificate.
- 2005: University of Miami – Miller School of Medicine. Recognition for labor as Secretary of the Conferences Committee of The William J. Harrington Medical Training Program for Latin America.
- Relationship Between Regional Tissue Density And Extravascular Lung Water In A Sheep Model Of Ventilator-Induced Lung Injury And Endotoxemia. Mauri T, Schroeder T, Avila M, Schettino I, Musch G, Harris RS, Winkler T, Venegas JG, Vidal Melo MF.
- Status: Abstract presented at The 2008 American Thoracic Society (ATS) International Conference in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Cysteinyl Leukotrienes and Perioperative Respiratory Dysfunction during Cardiac Surgery. El Khoury C, Avila, M, Schettino I, Ichinose F, Vidal Melo MF. Status: Abstract presented at 2008 Annual Meeting of The American Society of Anesthesiologists. Anesthesiology 2008; 109 A665 (Orlando, FL)
- Changes in cysteinyl-leukotrienes during and after cardiac surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass in COPD and non-COPD patients. Prost N, El Khoury C, Avila M, Vidal Melo MF. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011;141:1496-1502.e3
- Parity and cardiovascular disease prevalence and mortality among the old order Amish. Avila M, Giuseffi J, Mukamal K, Parikh N, Welty FK. Circulation. 2013;127:AP193. Abstract presented at The AHA Epidemiology and Prevention, Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism (EPI - NPAM) 2013 meeting
- Higher Exercise Capacity Predicts Lower Levels of Inflammation in Both Men and Women with Coronary Artery Disease. Circulation. 2014;129:A63 Elajami TK, Morteza A, Avila MD, Vetter JA, Welty FK. Status: Abstract presented at The AHA Epidemiology and Prevention, Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism (EPI - NPAM) 2014 meeting
- Recurrent Pump Thrombosis: A Therapeutic Dilemma. Avila MD, Leoni JC, Patel P, Yip DS, Hosenpud. J Eur J Heart Fail 2017;19(Suppl. S1):181 Status: Abstract presented at the ESC Heart Failure 2017 – 4th World Congress on Acute Heart Failure at Paris, France.
- Outcomes Following Impella Support in Acute Cardiogenic Shock: Results of a Multidisciplinary Approach. Avila MD, Pollak PM, Leoni JC, Patel PC, Yip DS, Landolfo KP. Status: Accepted for presentation at the 14th Annual Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular and Thoracic Critical Care Conference in October 2017 at Washington D.C.