Michael Aversano, MD
Hollywood, FL 33021
Miramar, FL 33029
Wellington, FL 33449
I am a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon at Memorial Healthcare System specializing in the field of pediatric hand and upper extremity conditions. I care for patients with congenital, traumatic and neurologic conditions from the neck to the fingertips. I enjoy both the science and art of treating upper extremity disorders, especially in children because their hands are so closely interconnected with the way they learn, play and explore the world around them.
I was inspired to pursue a career as a pediatric surgeon because it combined my passion for medicine with the opportunity to care for children with life-altering diagnoses. During my teenage years I worked as a lifeguard. I also volunteered as a guide dog trainer and soccer coach for the Special Olympics. Volunteering continues to be an important part of my life. Each year, I travel internationally to provide charitable medical treatment to underserved areas.
At Memorial, our team takes a comprehensive approach to the care of every child. This means providing high-quality surgical treatment and medical care with an equal commitment to supporting the emotional needs of the child and their family. Each person, and each problem is unique. For that reason, I am whole-heartedly interested in hearing every patient’s story. Then, together, we can create an ideal plan of care.
It is an honor and privilege to care for children and make a positive impact in their lives. I have always had a passion for life and learning and love nothing more than when a child runs up to me in the office, happy I am their doctor.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Aversano
- Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, 2013
- NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, 2018, Orthopedic Surgery
- Hospital For Joint Disease, 2019, Hand Surgery
- Shriners Hospitals for Children � Philadelphia, 2020, Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
- Four-Year Charles H. Hovies Academic Merit Scholarship to the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand Young Surgeon Traveling Fellowship Grant
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand Travel Scholarship Grant Recipient
- Sarah Pettrone, M.D. Memorial Scholarship: American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- International Pediatric Orthopaedic Symposium Full Scholarship
- The Suffolk County Academy of Medicine – Doctors of Tomorrow Scholarship
- Stanford University School of Medicine Underrepresented Minorities Visiting Clerkship Scholarship
- Harvard Medical School Visiting Clerkship Scholarship
- Advanced Medical Spanish Course Certificate
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Medical Association
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society
- Tri Beta National Biology Honor Society
- International Baccalaureate Diploma
The field of pediatric hand and upper extremity surgery is constantly evolving, and continues to expand as technology and innovation unite. At the forefront of this transformation is research. Through clinical and basic science research I continue to explore new areas of interest, enhance methods of treatment through evidence-based practice, and connect with physicians all over the world. My particular areas of interest include the study of Arthrogryposis and Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy.
Past research projects include:
- Techniques and Functional outcomes in nerve and tendon transfers of the upper extremity - Shriner’s Pediatric Hospital Clinical Research Fellowship
- Clinical and Basic Science Research about growth plate abnormalities in children – NYU Department of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
- Kevin Heaney and Judi Marvel Charities Brain Tumor Research Grant - The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia)
- Anthropology Field Research - University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Function of gap junctions and electrical coupling on CO2-chemoreception, respiratory rythmogenesis, and respiratory motoneuron output in the brainstem - Department of Physiology and Biophysics, SUNY Stony Brook University Medical Center
- Use of Anti-Mitotic Cancer Therapy in a Yeast Model System - Loyola College
- Michael W. Aversano, Omri Ayalon, Michael Starecki, Michael T. Milone, Nader Paksima. An Anatomic Study of the Variable Insertions of the Extensor Pollicis Brevis and its Contribution to Interphalangeal Joint Extension. American Society for Surgery of the Hand Meeting & Sir Robert Jones Lectureship 2016
- Michael W. Aversano, Surya Mundluru, Scott Hadley, Norman Y. Otsuka, Are Polydactyly Digit Growth Plates Normal? American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference & Exhibition 2014
- Jared Bookman, Michael W. Aversano, John Al Grossman, Andrew Price. 25-Year Experience with the Subscapularis Slide for Correction of Internal Rotation Contracture in Brachial Plexus Palsy Birth Injury. American Society for Surgery of the Hand Meeting 2018 & NYSSH Meeting 2018
- Jared Bookman, Michael W. Aversano, Michael Guss, Omri Ayalon, Nader Paksima. DeQuervains Tenosynovitis Release with Excision of the First Dorsal Compartment: Novel Surgical Technique and a Case Series. American Society for Surgery of the Hand Meeting 2018 & NYSSH Meeting 2018
- Michael T. Milone, Mikael Starecki, Omri Ayalon, Michael W. Aversano, Anthony Sapienza. Estimating Tendon Autograft Length for Upper Extremity Reconstructive Surgery Running head: Estimating Tendon Autograft Length. American Society for Surgery of the Hand Meeting & Sir Robert Jones Lectureship 2016
- Perry J. Evangelista, Michael W. Aversano, Emmanuel Koli, Aaron Brandt, Joseph Bosco, Richard Iorio, Effect of TXA on Transfusion rates following TJA: A Cost and Comparative Effectiveness Analysis. AOA Annual Meeting 2016
- Surya Mundluru, Michael W. Aversano, Emily Bakaj, Carlos Uquillas, David S. Feldman, Norman Y. Otsuka,. The Effects of Weight Status Category on the Functional Health of Pediatric Orthopaedic Patients as Measured by the Pediatric Outcomes Data Collection Instrument. Sir Robert Jones Lecture 2014
- Michael W. Aversano, Roshan Shah, John Froelich, Stuart L. Weinstein, Samir Mehta, The AAOS Political Action Committee: How do we compare to the Trial Lawyers? American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2013 Conference
- Aversano MW, González-Giraldo E, Halpern CH, Jandali S, Low DW, Storm PB. Free Fibula Graft and Arteriovenous Saphenous Loop for Posterior Spinal Fusion in Irradiated Pediatric Patients. American Association of Neurological Surgeons 2011 Conference
- Heuer G, Aversano MW, Bauman JA. Hyponatremia Following Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy: A Report of Five Cases and Analysis of Risk Factors. AANS/CNS Section on Pediatric Neurological Surgery 2010 Conference
- Gonzalez-Giraldo E, Aversano MW, Halpern CH. Establishing a Role for Mouse Models in Deep Brain Stimulation: Evidence from an Obesity Model. American Association of Neurological Surgeons 2011 Conference
- Keith D. Baldwin, Roshan Shah, Derek Donegan, Jaimo Ahn, Micheal Aversano, Samir Mehta. Significant Cost Variation Between States in Hip Fracture Care for Dual Eligibles. The American Orthopaedic Association 2013 Conference
- Aversano MW, Boubli JP. Communal Infant Care in a Population of Captive Cotton-top Tamarins. University of Auckland Department of Anthropology Summer Research Meeting; Auckland, New Zealand. September 2008
- Aversano MW. Health, Medicine, and Society in 20th Century Post-World War II America: Breaking Down the Doctor Patient Relationship. Auckland University Medical Students' Association Research Conference. September 2007.
- Aversano MW, Warren K., Solomon IC. Role of Gap Junctions in CO2 Chemoreception: Analysis of Connexin Expression in the Rat Model. Stony Brook University Physiology and Biophysics Research Conference; Stony Brook, NY. August 2006.
- Aversano MW. The Reemergence of Tuberculosis in Present Day Society: A New Perspective on the Anti-Tuberculosis Crusades of the Early 20th Century. National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine Conference. July 2004.