Internal Medicine Residency Program
Program Director's Welcome
Datasource: Meet Himanji Kaushal, MD, Internal Medicine Residency Director
Thank you for your interest in the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Memorial Healthcare System. We are excited to welcome our inaugural class and look forward to providing you with a unique and exceptional educational experience - a perfect balance of clinical experiences, didactics and hands-on training which will prepare you for any career path you choose to follow.
We strongly believe that every individual who sets out to be a physician does so with the aim of helping others and making a difference. Sometimes, this aim is overshadowed by the real-world challenges of practicing medicine.
Our goal is to provide our residents a wholesome training experience that spans the depth and breadth of medicine not only within the clinical realm but also encompassing the social, ethical and humanistic side of medicine so they are equipped with all the skills needed to successfully navigate the current and future practice environments.
Our philosophy in the words of Sir William Osler: “The good physician treats the disease; the great physician treats the patient who has the disease.
About Our Internal Medicine Residency Program
- We are a Community-based program.The program is sponsored by the Memorial Healthcare System. The System trains hundreds of medical students each year and is affiliated with Florida Atlantic University (FAU), Florida International University (FIU), and Nova Southeastern University College Of Osteopathic Medicine.
- 24/7 Hospitalist and Intensivist coverage. In-house attending physicians are available for assistance at all times and residents are not required to meet the service needs of the hospital which allows for a better educational experience.
- No overnight call. We have a Night Float team which takes over from the day team in the evening and hands off in the morning.
- Great patient diversity and an exciting range of pathology which rivals any large inner-city hospital.
- Our medium-sized program allows us to get to know each of our residents on a personal level and provides a learning environment rich with camaraderie and an ability to develop one-on-one relationships with colleagues, faculty and mentors.
- Exposure to cutting-edge service delivery models like our Telehealth service and Mobile Health Units.
- Longitudinal Integrative Medicine curriculum.
- We have an Office of Human Research with our own IRB. The Chief Medical Research Officer and her team will assist residents with the development of their research and submission to the IRB. Participation in some form of scholarly activity is mandatory for graduation from the program. In addition, residents will be trained in the basic concepts of QI and Patient Safety and will have the opportunity to participate in QI projects during their training.
About Memorial Hospital West
Memorial Hospital West opened in May 1992 with 100 beds to serve the growing population of western Broward. Today, the hospital has 366 beds and provides high-quality, patient- and family-centered care.
Datasource: Emergency Department Visits