Anesthesiology Residency Program
Program Director's Welcome
Thank you for your interest in the Memorial Healthcare System Residency Program in Anesthesiology. Choosing the right residency program is one of the most important career decisions that you will make, and I am confident that our four-year integrated training program will provide you with a tremendous opportunity to learn in an environment that is both friendly and academic.
My philosophy is that learning during residency should allow you to achieve your personal career goals with the support and guidance of an accomplished faculty. My hope is that we will not only train you as skilled physician anesthesiologist, but also provide you with the skills to be a leader in patient safety, quality, and perioperative medicine.
Below are some unique features of our training program.
- We are a community-based program sponsored by the Memorial Healthcare System, which has a long history of medical education and research through our affiliations with Florida Atlantic University, Florida International University, and Nova Southeastern University. The Memorial Healthcare System has a robust Office of Human Research with its own IRB, allowing residents to participate and even lead research efforts in perioperative medicine.
- Our accomplished anesthesia faculty have completed residency and fellowship training at some of the most prestigious academic institutions and are members of Envision Physician Services. A nationally recognized leader in perioperative quality, safety, and efficiency. Envision Physician Services has provided anesthesia services at the Memorial Healthcare System since 1953, and this deep relationship affords our trainees with unique exposure to cutting edge training in anesthesia quality and practice management.
- Residents will be exposed to large operative volumes (over 18,000 surgical and 70,000 nonsurgical procedures/year).
- As part of our network of teaching facilities, there is a dedicated children’s hospital as well as a State and American College of Surgeons Designated Level I Trauma Center.
- Residents will have access to an $18 million, 66,000 square foot Simulation Center at Broward College for development of skills in team training, crisis management, and advanced procedures.
- 24/7 Hospitalist, Intensivist, and Anesthesiologist coverage will provide residents with a better educational experience.
- Nearly all rotations have a dedicated night float team that takes over in the evening and hands over the next morning. Overnight call is limited only to those services where there is a corresponding learning experience.
- The small size of our training program (6 residents per class) allows us to get to know each of our residents on a personal level and provides a learning environment rich with camaraderie and the ability to develop relationships with colleagues, faculty and mentors.