Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program
Program Director's Welcome
Thank you for your interest in the Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program at Memorial Healthcare System. Memorial Healthcare System is a large public healthcare system offering a unique blend of urban and community clinical experiences coupled with academic excellence. We are excited for you to get to know us and to learn about our program and the outstanding training opportunity it affords.
The mission of the Obstetrics and Gynecology residency program at Memorial Healthcare System is to train and mentor a highly skilled and equitable workforce of outstanding physicians to provide complex obstetric and gynecologic care to our diverse South Florida community, with a commitment to excellence and health equity.
We look forward to you getting to know our dedicated faculty and residents as you enter the next phase of your medical career.
Wishing you much success,
Robert Hunter, MD
Residency Program Director
About Our OB/GYN Residency Program
Datasource: OB/GYN Residency Program
- We are a Community-based program. The program is sponsored by the Memorial Healthcare System. The System trains hundreds of medical students each year and is affiliated with Florida Atlantic University (FAU), Florida International University (FIU), and Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- 24/7 Hospitalist and Intensivist coverage. In-house attending physicians are available for assistance at all times and residents are not required to meet the service needs of the hospital which allows for a better educational experience.
- Great patient diversity and an exciting range of pathology which rivals any large inner-city hospital and reflects the demographic diversity of South Florida.
- Our medium-sized program allows us to get to know each of our residents on a personal level and provides a learning environment rich with camaraderie and an ability to develop one-on-one relationships with colleagues, faculty and mentors.
- Exposure to cutting-edge service delivery models like our Telehealth service, Mobile Health Units, as well as remote and wireless fetal monitoring.
- We participate in the Florida Perinatal Quality Collaborative project (FPQC) as well as national patient safety initiatives which provide the opportunity to participate in research and public health initiatives, as well as present data at state and national meetings.
- We have an Office of Human Research with our own IRB. The Chief Medical Research Officer and her team will assist residents with the development of their research and submission to the IRB. Participation in some form of scholarly activity is mandatory for graduation from the program. In addition, residents will be trained in the basic concepts of QI and Patient Safety and will have the opportunity to participate in QI projects during their training.
- Large obstetric and gynecology surgery volumes. Over 60% of all babies born in Broward County are delivered at Memorial Healthcare System. Approximately 8,000 deliveries are performed annually at Memorial Hospital West and Memorial Regional Hospital combined. Over 680 laparoscopic hysterectomies of all types were performed in 2021.
- As part of our network of teaching facilities, there is a dedicated children’s hospital as well as a State and American College of Surgeons Designated Level I Trauma Center.
- Memorial Hospital West is one of few hospitals recognized nationally as one of the Top Hospitals for its performance in achieving Leapfrog safety measures in maternity services.
- Overnight call is limited only to those rotations where there is a corresponding learning experience.
- An $18 million, 66,000 sq. ft., three story Simulation Center at Broward College will help to train residents in the most advanced simulation and robotic surgical skills.
About Memorial Hospital West
Memorial Hospital West opened in May 1992 with 100 beds to serve the growing population of western Broward. Today, the hospital has 486 beds and provides high-quality, patient- and family-centered care.
Some of Our 2021 Statistics
- 3,562 Births
- 837 Laparoscopic procedures (includes laparoscopic and robotic surgery)
Datasource: MHW Admissions
Datasource: Emergency Department Visits
About Memorial Regional Hospital
Memorial Regional Hospital, the flagship facility of Memorial Healthcare System, is one of the largest hospitals in Florida, with a reputation for advanced medicine and technology. The 797-bed hospital is one of six Level I Trauma Centers in the state qualified to treat the most severe, life-threatening injuries.
Among its renowned programs are:
- Level 1 Trauma Center
- Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute
- Memorial Cancer Institute
- Memorial Neuroscience Institute
- Memorial Rehabilitation Institute
- Bariatric Surgery Center recognized by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP)
- Regional Placenta Accreta Spectrum Program
Some of Our 2021 Statistics
- 4,556 Births
- 49 Vaginal Hysterectomies
- 441 Abdominal Hysterectomies
- 153 Laparoscopic/Robotic procedures
Datasource: MRH Admissions
Datasource: ER Visits
About Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital
Established in 1992, Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital is one of the region's leading pediatric hospitals, offering a comprehensive scope of healthcare services and programs in a child-friendly atmosphere. A full-service children's specialty hospital, we treat minor illnesses, trauma-related accidents and some of the most complex medical conditions.
- 226-bed pediatric regional referral center
- 650 physicians on medical staff providing care in more than 30 pediatric medical and surgical specialties
- Recognized by U.S. News and World Report as a "Best Children's Hospital" in multiple specialties
Some of Our Statistics
Datasource: Set callout here
Datasource: Set callout here
About Memorial Primary Care
Memorial Primary Clinic - Hollywood is a continuity clinic staffed by an OB/GYN Hospitalist Team from Memorial Regional Hospital.
About Memorial Simulation Center
Memorial Healthcare System maintains a simulation center at the Miramar Training Center in Miramar, FL. This simulation center houses a Lucina doll with capability to simulate complicated deliveries and maternal conditions.
- Basic principles of surgery
- Real hospital equipment
- Simulation and robotic surgery
- Web based surgical training