Internal Medicine Residency Program
Program Director's Welcome
I would like to personally thank you for your interest in our Internal Medicine residency program. One of the core advantages of our program is that it is built on the foundation of an exceptionally strong healthcare system. Memorial Healthcare System is one of the largest public healthcare systems in the country, providing a broad array of services to a diverse population in South Florida.
Our talented and well-trained clinicians have the resources and facilities required to deliver world-class care, participate in cutting edge research and provide high quality training required of a residency program. Our faculty are committed to ensuring that residents training in our program will gain the skills and aptitudes required for success whatever their long-term career goals. Please take the time to explore our program in depth and do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions regarding our residency or Memorial Healthcare System.
About Our Internal Medicine Residency Program
- We are a community-based university-affiliated program.The program is sponsored by the Memorial Healthcare System. The System trains hundreds of medical students each year and is affiliated with Florida Atlantic University (FAU), Florida International University (FIU), and Nova Southeastern University College Of Osteopathic Medicine.
- 24/7 Hospitalist and Intensivist coverage. In-house attending physicians are available for assistance at all times and residents are not required to meet the service needs of the hospital which allows for a better educational experience.
- No overnight call. We have a Night Float team which takes over from the day team in the evening and hands off in the morning.
- Great patient diversity and an exciting range of pathology which rivals any large inner-city hospital.
- Our medium-sized program allows us to get to know each of our residents on a personal level and provides a learning environment rich with camaraderie and an ability to develop one-on-one relationships with colleagues, faculty and mentors.
- Exposure to cutting-edge service delivery models like our telehealth service and mobile health units.
- Longitudinal Integrative Medicine curriculum.
- We have an Office of Human Research with our own IRB. The Chief Medical Research Officer and her team will assist residents with the development of their research and submission to the IRB. Participation in some form of scholarly activity is mandatory for graduation from the program. In addition, residents will be trained in the basic concepts of QI and Patient Safety and will have the opportunity to participate in QI projects during their training.
About Memorial Hospital West
Memorial Hospital West opened in May 1992 with 100 beds to serve the growing population of western Broward. Today, the hospital has 486 beds and provides high-quality, patient- and family-centered care.
Datasource: Emergency Department Visits