Becoming a Mom/Maternal Role Transition Seminar (Memorial Regional Hospital
4320 Sheridan Street
Hollywood, FL 33021
Research shows that many factors can affect a woman in adapting to the new role of motherhood. Ineffective maternal role transition can negatively influence the entire family. This seminar is led by a certified maternal-newborn registered nurse with research experience on the topic. You may attend while pregnant or after childbirth. Partners expected to attend.
Topic: "Wellness Essentials for New Mothers" focusing on:
- Differences between the baby blues and more serious mental health complications during pregnancy or post-birth
- The connection between caring for your baby and caring for yourself
- Sources for support and a readiness plan in the event you begin experiencing maternal mental health complications; for instance, who to call, what to say, and what to expect.
Speaker: Dr. Laura Meyer is this seminar's expert speaker who has a PhD in mental health counseling, with a specialization in marriage, couples, and family therapy. She serves on the Florida Board for Postpartum Support International as the secretary. She has a private practice specializing in maternal mental health and issues regarding motherhood. She also teaches at an academic counseling program, as an adjunct professor. She is a licensed mental health counselor and holds a dual master's degree in mental health counseling and marriage, couples, and family therapy.
This class will explore:
- The psychology of mother and baby bonding
- Research findings relating to maternal role transition
- Postpartum depression
- Social and partner support
You will have the opportunity to learn about the psychosocial transition to motherhood through:
- Lecture and presentation
- Personalized Q&A session
- Special topics presented by guest speakers who are maternal mental health experts
- Interaction with experts in maternal mental health field
- Peer support from other expecting couples
A light dinner will be served. Class fee is per couple.
Payment for Class
You can pay online with a credit card when you register for the class or mail a check or money order. If mailing a check or money order, we appreciate your payment two weeks before the class begins.
Make check or money order payable to Memorial Regional Hospital. Please do not send cash. Include with your payment:
- Name used for registration
- Class title and date
- Your phone number in case we need to contact you
Mail payment to:
Memorial Regional Hospital
Perinatal Education - 8 North
3501 Johnson Street
Hollywood, Florida 33021
Please note: you must notify us via email before the class date to request a refund. If you are unable to attend a scheduled class, please contact us prior to class date at email@example.com to cancel.
If you have questions about the class fee, please call 954-265-4484.