About the Foundation
Memorial Foundation was established in 1981 to provide philanthropic support to Memorial Healthcare System. Since its inception in 1953, Memorial Healthcare System has been a leader in providing high-quality health care services to South Florida residents. Today, it is one of the largest public healthcare systems in the nation and highly regarded for its exceptional patient- and family-centered care. Memorial Healthcare System's patient, physician and employee satisfaction rates are among the most admired in the nation, and the system is recognized as a national leader in quality healthcare.
Dedicated to supporting healthcare for the community served by Memorial Healthcare System, Memorial Foundation is the central agency through which charitable contributions are made. A volunteer Board of Directors, comprised of prominent business and community leaders and physicians, oversees all aspects of the Foundation's operations.
Memorial Foundation accepts gifts of cash, checks, securities, real estate (limited), tangible personal property (limited), charitable gift annuities, life insurance (limited), charitable remainder trusts and charitable lead trusts.
The Memorial Foundation and Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Foundation are grateful for the support of our generous donors. In our 2019 Annual Report, we show how philanthropy enables us to move health forward to better serve our patients and families.
Our Foundations Newsletter shares highlights of recent events, sponsorships and gifts that help us heal the body, mind and spirit of those we touch.
Foundation Staff & Leadership
Senior Vice President & Chief Development Officer
Manager, Special Events
|Karey Bosack Greenstein, Esq.
Director of Planned Giving
Coordinator, Foundation Grants
Director of Sponsorship Development
Specialist, Accounts Payable
|Kim Carbo, Ed.D.
Director of Community Development
Coordinator, Database Systems
Director of Development
Clerk, Data Entry
Director of Annual Giving
Development Director of Cancer Institute
Director of Major Gifts
- Andrew J. Greenfield, MD
- Dr. Greenfield has served on the Board since 2010. He obtained his medical degree from Temple University School of Medicine and completed his residency at the University of Miami in 1992. He was a practicing anesthesiologist, serving as chief of Anesthesiology at Memorial Regional Hospital from 2006-2009. In 2009, he joined the Sheridan Healthcare executive team overseeing their national anesthesia practice. Dr. Greenfield recently left his role as president of Anesthesia Services at Envision and now provides advisory services to healthcare companies and private equity.
- Thomas R. Oliveri
- Immediate Past Chairman
- Mr. Oliveri has served on the Board since 2008. He graduated cum laude from the University of South Florida and received a certification from the Florida State University Executive Management Program. As the President of the West Florida Region for The Northern Trust Company, Mr. Oliveri is responsible for leading the delivery of holistic advice and client service through investment management, fiduciary, banking and wealth planning professionals.
- R. Doug Gawrych, CPA
- 1st Vice Chairman
- Mr. Gawrych has served on the Board since 2010 and is chair of the Foundation Audit Committee. He is a graduate of Miami University and a CPA. He recently retired from Grant Thornton where he was a former managing partner. His experience is in audit and financial statement and international audit services.
- Brett Rose
- 2nd Vice Chairman
- Mr. Rose has served on the Board since 2015. He is an entrepreneur who founded and serves as the Chief Executive Officer and President of United National Consumer Supplies (UNCS). UNCS is a wholesale distributing company which specializes in manufacturer’s closeouts, excess inventories and overstocks. He graduated from Salem State University.
- Carl Schuster, Esq.
- Mr. Schuster's association with the Foundations began in 1995. He is an attorney and earned his Juris Doctorate from University of Miami School of Law. He is currently with the firm of Greenspoon Marder located in Fort Lauderdale. His focus is on general estate planning, preparation and administration of wills, trusts and estates and gift tax planning, including charitable gifts.
- Elden LeGaux
- Mr. LeGaux joined the Board in 2018. He is a graduate of Mary Washington College and attended graduate studies at Virginia Commonwealth University. With years of experience in financial services, he founded and is chief operating officer of Legacy Wealth Advisors, where he currently develops strategic solutions for companies and individuals with significant wealth.
- Susanne Cornfeld Hurowitz
- At-Large Member
- Mrs. Hurowitz has served on the Board since 2005. She is currently president of HB Capital Group, a privately-held, real estate investment and management company based in Miami, Florida. Prior to HB Capital, she was the president of SCH Consulting, which advised not-for-profit organizations on the development and implementation of strategic planning initiatives. Mrs. Hurowitz holds a Bachelor of Arts from Tufts University and an MBA from Columbia University.
- Beth-Ann E. Krimsky, Esq.
- At-Large Member
- Mrs. Krimsky joined the Board in 2019. She is an attorney and earned her Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School.She is currently with the firm Greenspoon Marder in Fort Lauderdale.She is a commercial litigator and trial attorney whose focus is on business cases, including complex real estate and land use litigation, commercial disputes, fraud based litigation and class action defense with an emphasis in marketing, privacy and compliance issues.
- Lawrence D. Share
- At-Large Member
- Mr. Share is founder and president of Lawrence D. Share Company. His company has provided more than three decades of coverage to the medical community in the areas of disability income, life and health insurance, financial services and medical malpractice. He returned to the Board in 2014.
- M. Richard Auerbach, MD
- Dr. Auerbach has served on the Board since 2017. He obtained his medical degree from The University of Health Sciences, The Chicago Medical School, and performed his pediatric and neonatal residency at Georgetown University Hospital. Dr. Auerbach was on the neonatal staff at Joe DiMaggio Children`s Hospital since 1986 and served as former chief of staff.
- Joe Berkovits, CPA
- Mr. Berkovits joined the Board in 2016. He is a certified public accountant who graduated from the University of Miami. He possesses more than 35 years of experience in public accounting. He is an audit partner with Eisner Amper, one of the largest accounting firms in the United States.
- Kenneth Bierman
- Mr. Bierman is currently a Strategic Advisor of Wealth Management at Grove Bank and Trust. He graduated from Rutgers University and First Fund Raising Institute of the Jewish Agency in Jerusalem, Israel. Mr. Bierman first joined the Board in 2010.
- Nina Beauchesne, FACHE
- Mrs. Beauchesne has served on the Board for more than two decades. She graduated from Emory University and received an MBA from the University of Florida. As Executive Vice President of Memorial Healthcare System, Mrs. Beauchesne is responsible for system-wide business development and recruitment of physicians, South Broward Community Health services and oversees Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital and Memorial Regional Hospital South, Memorial Manor Nursing Home and Memorial Home Health Agency.
- Allan Budelman
- Mr. Budelman was elected to the Board in 2020. He is the co-founder and chief executive Officer of EMFO, LLC and previously served as managing partner and principal for Emerald Asset Advisors. He graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park and obtained his MBA in International Business from the University of Miami.
- Amaury Cifuentes, CFP, CMP
- Mr. Cifuentes joined the Board in 2020. He is a graduate of Florida State University and a Certified Financial Planner. Mr. Cifuentes is founder and a partner in BlueKey Wealth Advisors, and BlueKey Equity Partners.
- Douglas J. Collier, LUTCF
- Mr. Collier has served on the Board since 2001 and is a graduate of Florida State University. He spent over 25 years with Lincoln Financial Advisors providing personalized financial and estate planning. More recently, he built his practice, Innovative Wealth Management located in Boca Raton, as a multi-generational wealth management firm. He helps individuals, families and business owners grow and preserve their wealth for future generations.
- Linda Cooke
- Ms. Cooke joined the Board in 2018. She is a graduate of Nova Southeastern University. Ms. Cooke is currently the chief executive officer of Habco Manufacturing. She has served on multiple boards within the community including the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, The Wasie Foundation, and Florida Community Health Network.
- Mitchell Eisenberg, MD
- Dr. Eisenberg joined the Board in 2006. He obtained his medical degree from Medical College of Pennsylvania and performed his residency in internal medicine at New England Deaconess Hospital and his anesthesia residency at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is board certified in both internal medicine an anesthesiology. Today he is co-founder and CEO of Advanced Recovery Systems, an integrated behavioral health company specializing in the treatment of alcohol and drug abuse and associated mental health disorders.
- Joseph Epstein, CPA
- Mr. Epstein joined the Board in 2018. He is a graduate of Miami University in Ohio. Mr. Epstein is currently a principal at MBAF, an accounting and advisory firm that services clients in a wide-range of industries including law firms and professional organizations. He leads the firm’s business developments efforts in the tri-county area.
- Alberto Fernandez
- Mr. Fernandez was a former Board member who returned in 2018. Mr. Fernandez began his career in 1981 as a general contractor. Today he is founder and president of the ANF Group, a construction and development company. Mr. Fernandez’s vision helped create the ANF Group Tour de Broward event, an annual fundraiser attended by thousands of participants.
- Aurelio M. Fernandez, FACHE
- A healthcare professional with more than 40 years of experience, Mr. Fernandez is the president and chief executive officer of Memorial Healthcare System, one of Florida’s leading healthcare systems with 13,000 employees, six hospitals, and medical ancillary services. Mr. Fernandez obtained his Master’s degree in Health Services Administration from Florida International University. He joined the Board in 2016.
- Benjamin J. Freedman, MD
- Dr. Freedman has served on the Board since 2019. He obtained his medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine and performed his residency at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. Dr. Freedman is currently president of Radiology Associates of Hollywood.
- Toby Gray
- Mr. Gray joined the Board in 2019. He is a serial entrepreneur and accomplished chief executive officer of several companies. Today he is founder and chief executive officer of Advancing Practitioners, a company that specializes in first assisting in surgery and transitional care management. He is a graduate of Nova Southeastern University.
- Gregory Greene
- Mr. Greene joined the Board in 2020. He graduated from University of Pittsburgh and earned his MBA from Barry University. He is the chair of the board of trustees at Barry University, an executive coach for Deloitte, and he serves on the board of Mansfield Oil, Inc.
- Steven Harvey
- As a Commissioner of the South Broward Hospital District, Mr. Harvey serves as the liaison to Foundations’ Board of Directors. He is the assistant dean of operations and administration at Nova Southeastern University, where he earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in business administration.
- C. Kennon Hetlage, FACHE
- Mr. Hetlage joined the Board in 2020. He is a graduate from DePauw University and received his MHA from Washington University. As executive vice president of west operations for Memorial Healthcare System, he oversees Memorial Hospital Miramar, Memorial Hospital Pembroke and Memorial Hospital West, the Memorial Cancer Institute, and many additional operational departments across the healthcare system.
- Frederick Keroff, MD
- Dr. Keroff obtained his medical degree from University of Health Sciences, The Chicago Medical School. He performed his internship and residency at Jackson Memorial Hospital University of Miami in family medicine and later became chief resident. Dr. Keroff serves as district medical director of Emergency Services at Memorial Healthcare System. His association with the Board dates back to 2009.
- Dara K. Levan
- Mrs. Levan is a communication specialist, writer and editor and was a speech-language pathologist who provided services to children. She founded SpeakWrite Communications. She earned a Master’s degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders. Today, she serves at the Chief Chocoholic of Hoffman’s Chocolates. Mrs. Levan returned to the Board in 2018.
- Christopher McFarlane, JD, CPA
- Mr. McFarlane joined the Board in 2020. He graduated from the University of Miami with a Juris Doctorate, Masters of Science degree and is a CPA. He is the managing director of Flomex Capital Investments, a private equity firm.
- Holly Neville, MD
- Dr. Neville joined the Board in 2020. She obtained her medical degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine and completed her surgical residency at the University of Texas at Houston and Pediatric Surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern. Today, Dr. Neville is the Division Chief of Pediatric Surgery at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital and Associate Program Director for Memorial Healthcare System Department of General Surgery.
- Tiffany Panciera
- Mrs. Panciera joined the Board in 2020. She is an owner of Boyd-Panciera Family Funeral Care. She specializes in community relations, advanced funeral planning and bereavement support while leading the “Wings of Hope” program. Mrs. Panciera has more than 30 years of experience as an entrepreneur and is the co-author of “The Artful Science of Success”.
- Frank Scholl, MD
- Dr. Scholl is chief of pediatric and congenital heart surgery at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. His association with the Board dates back to 2011. He obtained his medical degree from Chicago Medical School, and performed his residencies in surgery and cardiothoracic surgery at Yale-New Haven Medical Center, Vanderbilt University and UCLA School of Medicine. He is board certified in surgery, congenital cardiac surgery and thoracic and cardiac surgery.
- Seth Siegel, CPA
- Mr. Siegel was elected to the Board in 2020. He is a graduate of Florida Atlantic University. Mr. Siegel is the managing partner of Grant Thornton’s South Florida offices and leads a team of over 200 professionals.
- Stu Siegel
- Stu Siegel has been on the Foundations’ Board since 2010. A graduate of Wharton School of Business, he is a serial entrepreneur who has spent his career starting, acquiring, merging and selling a string of successful technology businesses. Mr. Siegel is a devoted philanthropist, who created The Stu Siegel Foundation to support health, education, community, and the arts.
- Caitlin Stella
- Mrs. Stella serves as the chief executive officer of Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. She obtained her Master’s in Public Health in Health Policy and Management at the (now Fielding) School of Public Health at UCLA. She began her career as a management consultant in healthcare at PricewaterhouseCoopers, then worked as a project manager at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. She returned to UCLA Health as senior executive and was later promoted to chief administrative officer for UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital and Women’s Health. Mrs. Stella joined the Board in 2018.
- Benjamin A. Tobias, CFP, CPA/PFS
- Mr. Tobias joined the Board in 2020. He is a graduate of Bernard M. Baruch College of the City University of New York. He began his career as a healthcare auditor at Deloitte in New York City. He later founded and is the past President of Tobias Financial Advisors located in Plantation.
- Richard Toren
- Mr. Toren was elected to the Board in 2017. He graduated from Pennsylvania State University and obtained his MBA from Loyola Graduate School of Business. He is an entrepreneur with decades of experience in healthcare which includes the creation and management of physician practices to consulting with cardiology practices and advisory boards. Mr. Toren is executive chairman at Cohort Intelligence and Chief Strategy Officer of QPID Health, and was former President of Atigeo Healthcare.
- Denise Wittich
- Mrs. Wittich joined the Board in 2015. She obtained her BA degree in economics and went on to become an investment advisor for 30 years. Her dedication to raise awareness about breast cancer is one of many reasons why she served for seven years as chairperson of the Pink Angels Committee of the Memorial Foundation.
- Robert Amchir (deceased)
- Gary Birken, MD
- Michael Bolton
- Ronald L. Book, Esq.
- Herbert Brizel, MD
- Cindy Conine
- Jeff Conine
- Dr. and Mrs. Robert M. Cornfeld
- Alberto E. Fernandez, Sr.
- Peter Livingston, MD
- Wendy Masi, PhD
- Henry D. Perry, Jr., MD (deceased)
- Zeff Ross, FACHE
- Frank V. Sacco, FACHE
- George Steinbrenner (deceased)