Memorial Movember: No Shave November
"Movember" or "No Shave November" is an opportunity for us to take a moment and raise awareness and funds to help support the health of our men; our brothers, our fathers, our sons, our grandfathers, who all too often don’t ask for the help themselves.
Men face an ongoing health crisis in the U.S. and often little attention is specifically focused on these issues.
For example, prostate cancer, the most common cancer in men, will impact approximately one in nine men in the U.S. and more common in communities of color, yet our men are not getting the screening they need to save their lives. A simple blood test can detect prostate cancer years before it spreads and turns into a deadly disease into a treatable condition.
Our goal is to help men get medical access, education and the mental and emotional support they need.
Join Our Adult Urology Physicians to be an Ambassador for Change
We invite you to become an ambassador for Memorial Movember! As an ambassador you will refrain from shaving for the month of November. Encourage your friends and colleagues to join you and/or contribute funds on your behalf.
You may register to set up your fundraising page by creating your own style of fundraiser and choose Urology as the designated fund. We are asking all No Shave Movember participants to sign up by October 31, 2021. Ambassador names will be added to social media and the webpage with a link to your personal page.
Post your before, during and after photos and fundraising page information on social media on the Memorial Movember Facebook Page using the following hashtags:
We ask that you please post your photos by Tuesday of every week beginning the first week in November through the end of the month. Your “before” photo should be posted by Monday, November 1, 2021. If you do not have a Facebook account, please email your photo every week to Klane@mhs.net.
Our team of esteemed judges will carefully review the weekly photos and by Friday, December 3, 2021 will crown the winners in the following fields: best beard growth and most money raised. Of course the true winners will be the men of the Broward community but the champions of the contest will receive prizes and have bragging rights for the next year.
Register for the event and receive your Memorial Movember Button!
Memorial Healthcare System is committed to these goals and we need your support to achieve them – so please sponsor a Movember ambassador or better yet become one yourself and for the month of November please be a grower and a shower and let your facial hair loose! 100% of the proceeds raised will be used for programs and services related to men's cancer health and wellness.
Prostate Cancer Facts
- More than 3 million men in the U.S. today are prostate cancer survivors
- About 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer and 1 in 6 black men
- If caught early prostate cancer can be readily treated
- A simple, inexpensive blood test which should be checked in all men starting at age 55 or younger for some men can save lives
More than Prostate
- Testicular cancer is the most common cancer in young men
- Too often these men either don’t have insurance or don’t appreciate how important diagnosis and treatment is and many men delay visits to the doctor which results in growth and spread of the disease
Hypogonadism or low levels of testosterone can result in:
- Depression, decreased energy, decreased sex drive, muscle mass and deterioration of bone health
- Simple blood tests and replacement strategies can alter lives
For more information please contact Babette Kosar, Director of Development, Memorial Cancer Institute, Memorial Foundation BKosar@mhs.net.