- Health Library
- Research a Disease or Condition
- Lookup a Symptom
- Learn About a Test
- Prepare for a Surgery or Procedure
- What to do After Being Discharged
- Self-Care Instructions
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Nutrition, Vitamins & Special Diets
|•||E. coli enteritis|
|•||Babies and diarrhea|
|•||Traveler’s diarrhea diet...|
|•||Diarrhea in children - diet...|
Diarrhea - what to ask your doctor - child
Diarrhea is when your child has more than two very loose bowel movements in 1 day. For many children, diarrhea is mild and will pass within a few days. For others, it may last longer. It can make your child feel weak and dried out (dehydrated). It can also lead to unhealthy weight loss.
A stomach or intestinal illness can cause diarrhea. It can be a side effect of medical treatments, such as antibiotics and some cancer treatments.
Below are some questions you may want to ask your doctor or nurse to help you take care of your child when he or she has diarrhea.
What to ask your doctor about diarrhea - child; Loose stools - what to ask your doctor - child
- What foods can make my child's diarrhea worse? How should I prepare the foods that my child eats?
- If my child is still breastfeeding or bottle feeding, do I need I stop? Should I water down my child's formula?
- Can I feed my child milk, cheese, or yogurt? Can I give my child any dairy foods?
- What type of bread, crackers, or rice is best for my child?
- Can I feed my child any sweets? Is artificial sugar okay?
- Do I need to worry about my child getting enough salt and potassium?
- Which fruits and vegetables are best for my child? How should I prepare them?
- Are there foods my child should eat to prevent too much weight loss?
- How much water or liquid should my child drink during the day?
- How can I tell when my child is not drinking enough?
- If my child will not drink, what are other ways to get my child enough fluids?
- Can my child drink anything with caffeine, such as coffee or tea?
- Can my child drink fruit juices or carbonated drinks?
- Is it safe to give my child medicines from the store that may help slow the diarrhea down?
- Do any of the medicines, vitamins, herbs, or supplements my child is taking cause diarrhea?
- Are there medicines I stop giving my child?
CALLING THE DOCTOR
- Does having diarrhea mean my child has a more serious medical problem?
- When should I call the doctor?
Reviewed By: Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHA, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc., Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, David R. Eltz, Stephanie Slon, and Nissi Wang.