- Health Library
- Research a Disease or Condition
- Lookup a Symptom
- Learn About a Test
- Prepare for a Surgery or Procedure
- What to do After Being Discharged
- Self-Care Instructions
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Nutrition, Vitamins & Special Diets
Acid mucopolysaccharides is a test that measures the amount of mucopolysaccharides released into the urine over a 24-hour period.
Mucopolysaccharides are long chains of sugar molecules found throughout the body, often in mucus and in fluid around the joints.
AMP; Dermatan sulfate - urine; Urine heparan sulfate; Urine dermatan sulfate; Heparan sulfate - urine
How the Test is Performed
A 24-hour urine sample is needed.
- On day 1, urinate into the toilet when you get up in the morning.
- Afterwards, collect all urine in a special container for the next 24 hours. Keep it in the refrigerator or a cool place during the collection period.
- On day 2, urinate into the container when you get up in the morning.
- Cap the container. Label the container with your name, the date, the time of completion, and deliver it to the laboratory or your health care provider as soon as possible.
How to Prepare for the Test
There is no special preparation needed.
How the Test Will Feel
The test involves only normal urination, and there is no discomfort.
Why the Test is Performed
This test is done to diagnose a rare group of genetic disorders called mucopolysaccharidoses, including Hurler syndrome.
This test is usually only done in infants who have a family history of one of these disorders.
Normal levels vary with age and from lab to lab. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.
What Abnormal Results Mean
Abnormally high levels are a sign of mucopolysaccharidosis. Further tests are needed to determine the specific type of mucopolysaccharidosis.
Reviewed By: Frank A. Greco, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Biophysical Laboratory, The Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.