- Health Library
- Research a Disease or Condition
- Lookup a Symptom
- Learn About a Test
- Prepare for a Surgery or Procedure
- What to do After Being Discharged
- Self-Care Instructions
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Nutrition, Vitamins & Special Diets
Macroglossia is a disorder in which the tongue is larger than normal.
Macroglossia is usually caused by an increase in the amount of tissue on the tongue, rather than by a growth, such as a tumor.
This condition can be seen in certain inherited or congenital (existing at birth) disorders, including:
Reviewed By: Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHA, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.