- Health Library
- Research a Disease or Condition
- Lookup a Symptom
- Learn About a Test
- Prepare for a Surgery or Procedure
- What to do After Being Discharged
- Self-Care Instructions
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Nutrition, Vitamins & Special Diets
The hypothalamus is an area of the brain that produces hormones that control:
- Body temperature
- Release of hormones from many glands, especially the pituitary gland
- Sex drive
Hadley ME, Levine JE. Endocrinology. 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2007:111-133.
Coll AP, Farooqi IS, O’Rahilly S. The hormonal control of food intake. Cell. 2007;129(2):251-262.
Reviewed By: Nancy J. Rennert, MD, Chief of Endocrinology & Diabetes, Norwalk Hospital, Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed byDavid Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.